• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need ghetto fix for leaky sunroof

flipper

well, i went two hours to look at a 76 02 yesterday, ended up plunking down the dough, and spent another four hours trying to get home, what with a suddenly bad thermostat and all. still and all twas a fun and white-knuckled drive!

now ... the sunroof is kind of shot. it won't open, the seal is all shrunken and cracked all around. H2O hasn't leaked into the car, I don't think, or at least any leakage hasn't shown up on the headliner, which is still good; but i think that's only because the car has been garaged for a long, long time.

i don't want to put 'sunroof repair' at the top of my must-do list, so what can i do in the meantime, because this car is not going to be a garage queen, i hope. at the same time, no matter what i do, i don't really want to gunk up the gap too badly, 'cause i will repair it some day.

Has anyone here had any experience with 3M's Windoweld? I believe it's a butyl-type mastic that comes in tape form or a tube. My buddy the Hack Mechanic has told me whatever I use, don't squish it in, just try to lay it into the gap with enuf pressure to hold. Will Windoweld behave like that or is it going to seep and spread? And will I be able to remove it fairly easily later on?

Thoughts? Suggestions? And, thanks!

brilliant idea posting in that other forum. now why didn't i htink of it?

oh yeah.

old and dim. sigh.

thanks!

(and, seriously, Gorilla Tape? I read a thread on the faq about a sunroof rejuvenation where the PO had sealed the gaps with duc(k)t tape and the new owner was having a helluva time getting it of. otoh, gorilla tape is black and so in the car, so maybe it's a good idea after all. thanks, pkbin...!)