• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defrost Flaps in Heater Box

gsr977

Can you remove the front section (pictured) without removing the whole box from the car? With the clips it looks fairly accessible just not sure if there are also clips on the top side. Basically the flapper on the right is not closing properly and I believe the control rod has come unbolted from the actuator arm of the flapper.

Photobucket

1976 2002, 1991 318is, 1971 R75/5.

No, the top is riveted to the bottom two sections and the rivets need to be drilled out to open up the box. Unless someone has been in there before and rebuilt the box previously...

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

and yes the clips look inviting but the catch are the rivets at the top. You might be able to remove the clips and stretch the box a little. I would not go too far, the plastic box can be very brittle. Oh and slide the clips off, don't try to pry off.

Good luck.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

From all the nightmare stories I have heard makes sense it wouldn't be easily serviced. Upon closer inspection I could see from the tube holes that the Left and right flappers are actually out of adjustment, where the left one is closed the right will be open about 25%. For a quick and temporary fix I ended up stuffing a square of packing foam into the right defrost tubing that can be easily removed later. Went for a test drive and it is much more quiet. I figure worst case scenario I will still have functioning left defrost. Thanks for the input, always a good idea to check before going too far into a project.

1976 2002, 1991 318is, 1971 R75/5.

Oh and slide the clips off, don't try to pry off.

Good luck.

Don

Great tip Don. I ended up using a small rubber mallet to slide/pound the clips off a box that I rebuilt. Reverse when reassembling the thing. No damage to any of the plastic.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️