• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a picture of a tii alternator/mounting assembly?

mannix

Hey all - I want to put my alternator down where the tii had it, but I'm not finding the brackets in mobiletradition (same image for tii and otherwise).

Anyone have a picture of a tii alternator mounted to an engine they could share? Anyone have brackets?

Thanks!

Iain

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Interesting. Mine is 2764407, I believe - allegedly out of a 73, but seemingly the newer style.

I need that bracket. The picture referenced looks more like the non-tii bracket that bolts to the block. More research needed, thanks!

Iain

Interesting. The picture is the same for a 70 2002 and 73 tii, but "number 6" has two different part numbers:

11141257413 - tii bracket.

12318602032 - non tii bracket

of course, the non-tii bracket is $40, tii bracket is $100ish. Super. Hopefully, someone has one.

Iain

You might want to look at a E21 320i, the >79 type, they had the alternator mounted in a tii like position and that bracket is a lot cheaper.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E21/Sedan/USA/320i-M10/LHD/M/browse/engine_electrical_system/alternatormounting_parts-2/

I've relocated my alternator as well (with some homemade brackets) and I love it, much more usable space and removing the 318i intake manifold is a lot easier as well.

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

I have done some alternator work on my car and maybe I can help explain what I have learned. Only the very early tii cast aluminum cover incorperated the bracket as shown in Bill Williams picture, shortly after, that lower mount in the casting was deleted in favor of a seperate bracket. The back of those casting usually are stamped 1971. It seemed that it was a weak design, so they changed it to a seperate bracket (like shown in CD's picture) that bolts on top of the front cast aluminum block covering and also has a bolt going through the bracket and into the block. This is also a weak design. As the alternator rubber bushings deteriorate, the bracket wants to shift out of alignment, wearing away at the aluminum cover and can finally break the alternator bracket at the block. I just had this happen to my car. The front cast aluminum engine cover was badly chipped under the alternator bracket, and the bracket was broken.

My solution: I got a new bracket and a better engine cover. Then I added a trianglular piece of steel to the bracket which was large enough to allow another bolt through the block in an empty threaded hole, right above the exsisting mounting hole. (If you look close at CD's picture you can see the threaded hole I used right between the alternator and the oil filter shown). Now the alternator bracket puts all the stress on the bolts in the block and takes away the stress on the front aluminum cover. I also reccomend changing the alternator bushins to urythayne instead of the stock rubber one. With this change, the alternator belt stays tight without unnecessary tension on the water pump pulley.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Interesting. The picture is the same for a 70 2002 and 73 tii, but "number 6" has two different part numbers:

11141257413 - tii bracket.

12318602032 - non tii bracket

of course, the non-tii bracket is $40, tii bracket is $100ish. Super. Hopefully, someone has one.

Iain

The bracket on my 73tii cracked and I got a new one from Blunt.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 3 years later...

Now that the differences in the brackets has been established, I'm curious about the differences in the alternators themselves. Anyone have a part number for the correct Tii alternator and part number for the correct Non Tii alternator? The alternators pictured by Bill on his '72 and the one CD posted from the brochure seem vastly superior to the application.

thanks

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)