• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a picture of a tii alternator/mounting assembly?

mannix

thanks for the reply, seeing how old this topic is I'm glad to get a response.

It would appear the thickness on the AL40x is correct for the Tii, whereas the AL89x would need a spacer. (I'm going through a pile of old alternators right now if you couldn't tell...) thanks

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

It would appear the thickness on the AL40x is correct for the Tii, whereas the AL89x would need a spacer.

Yep, that is correct. I ran standard 2002 alternators on my tii for years with a heavy gauge spacer. I am not sure where I got the spacer. Now that I am no longer running the tii motor I am using a 2002 front cover and the 320i bracket mentioned above--320i Alternator Bracket (1.8L, 1979-1982) P/N 12311266828. I like it because it has three bolts into the block, rather than the two of the later-style tii mounts. I cut off the extra ear on top and polished it out. I am using a standard 2002 alternator and a spacer I fabricated, about 0.25" thick.

--Fred '69 & '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I don't even have a tii and I think this is a great thread! Who knew about these differences over time, or where better to document these changes than this forum?

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

FYI, I saw this on Ebay, I am reasonably certain this is the '74 version of the alternator bracket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E10-2002-tii-Alternator-Bracket-/141105866093

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the AL40X alternator installed.  You can see the red urethane washers and the very wide spacer ......

Alternator_mountingspacer___3-1.jpg

Alternator_mountingspacer___2-1.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Jim,

my '74tii has always had that spacer, which isn't really saying anything.  There have only been 3 alternators installed:  the original, and 2 replacement AL40X's.

You're saying there are housings which have a mounting width such that no spacer is necessary ??  Something unknown to me.

Cheers,

Carl

I recently acquired an alternator and front cover from an owner of a '72 Tii. The holes in the tabs on the cover are elongated and there is a lot of wear on the back tab. I could tig it up and fair it in, but it would be too soft. I am guessing this cover is scrap metal now. The alternator has the narrow mount and some chips out of the housing; probably from prying it to tighten. There is evidence of this activity on the web of the cover as well. I am guessing this is why they went to the separate steel bracket.
007.jpg

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Jim,

my '74tii has always had that spacer, which isn't really saying anything.  There have only been 3 alternators installed:  the original, and 2 replacement AL40X's.

You're saying there are housings which have a mounting width such that no spacer is necessary ??  Something unknown to me.

Cheers,

Carl

Top view of my AL40X

coverstud.jpg

From below (I have the separate bracket)

IMG_1279.jpg

My spare 72 engine was missing the alternator - good pic showing both brackets.

pics11272010001.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi all,

elongated whole and wear to be seen on `76Mintgrun`02´s photo are perfectly the reason why BMW changed the cast of the tii front cover and added the later steel bracket. Old style caused quite some warranty cases back then in the 70s.

Old style is originally to be found on all 2000tii NK 4-door-saloons and on early 2002tii. Somewhen within 1972 BMW did some changes on the tii engine:

1. Form of combustion room was switched from 2-Kugel-Wirbelwanne to 3-Kugel-Wirbelwanne and therewith cylinder heads went from 121 to E12 including pistons change from 121tii to E12tii. Combustion ratio went down a bit with that, too.

2. tii intake tubes were changed from plastic to metal.

3. Cast integrated alloy alternator bracket disappeared on the tii front timing cover and was replaced by the later separate iron bracket.

That did not all happen in one step but was implemented one after another within running production.

Original tii alternator always had the different housing to fit the bracket without spacers.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 3 months later...

(just adding some update info to this older thread)

Today I installed a rebuilt Bosch AL-40X alternator:  the replacement has the wide-mount housing as seen above in jgerock's picture.  Obviously no spacer required, and no problems fitting it into the mounting bracket.  First time I've ever seen such a housing (except in pictures).

Cheers,

Carl

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Is it possible to cut the mounting tabs off the earlier manifold and then install the alternator with the later, steel bracket?

tia

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a 72 tii and the PO told me that the alternator (which vibrates like crazy when the engine is running) bracket was broken and someone had adapted a provisional type bracket.  I haven't investigated it enough to know what type of adaptation the PO PO did, but it is not correct.  I am assuming my timing cover had the early tii integrated alternator bracket and it is now broken,  I just purchased a separate used tii alternator bracket.  I have several questions;

1) Is there more than one bracket supporting the alternator for the later tTii (late 72 and on)? From the pictures posted in the forum it appears there is a cast bracket on top, and a black metal bracket on the bottom of the alternator.

2) where does the cast bracket attach to on the engine?

3) Can I use the separate cast bracket with my current (broken) early tii timing cover? Or do I have to change timing covers.

I live out of the country and usually spend a week in the US and try to fit in repairs on the tii. I am trying to avoid having to do a timing cover swap. :)  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The pictures are great but hard to see where the cast bracket is attached and if it will attach to an early Tii timing cover.

thanks