• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

price help on '68 1600-02

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A neighbor is offering to sell us a car that we've always admired. He has had the car since the 70s or 80s. He's getting old and wants to find a good home for it. He said if we aren't interested he was going to try and sell for $8000 which seems high to me, he asked us to make an offer. I've poked around online for comps and prices are all over the place, obviously based on condition. We're VW people so don't really know the market on these - but do like his car.

Here are the vitals:

-'68 1600-02

-overall straight, clean, original condition

-has the black CA plates, has always been in CA, no rust

-said engine rebuilt about 65k miles ago, it fires right up and drives great

-paint decent, some cracking on the roof, faded in some areas

-original seats in good shape, but need restuffing

-needs new carpet, headliner, dashboard, door panels

-small crack in the windshield, otherwise glass looks good

-sunroof (he says original? I didn't think they had sunroofs so long ago?)

These seemed like a good place to get some feedback... thoughts? suggestions?

-go get some paparazzi pics and post them. You can upload them to a web service and just give us the link to the album if you are more familiar with that process.. But I'm thinking 8 is way high based on description. Get the vin off of the steering column as well and post it here.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I would be interested should you decide to pass. Have been looking for a clean, straight, original early 1600 for some time now and live in SoCal. Please let me know by way of email. Thank you.

T.R.

'72 polaris 2000tii touring

'72 inka 2002

Hey T.R., got any pics of your Polaris Touring??!!

Polaris '71 2002tii Touring

DS '88 M3

Agave '73 2002

e46 Touring

Titanium 05 X3 Si

touringtiiweb.jpg

$8000 is kinda high but that is becoming the new norm for round tail light cars in clean unmolested condition. ther is a used car lot near my house and this dude has 5 02's on his hands and non are under $6000 i went in and looked at them and i was thinking $2.500-$3.500 befor i asked about the price 2 months later those cars are still standing ther. so people are asking big money for clean 02's i just wonder who is buying $8--$12 or even $50.000 for a turbo. i got my first 02 in 1985 witch i payed $1800 for and have had 4 since that time and never have i payed over $3000 for a 02 i guess it just depends on how desperate you are?

I'd say 5-8k depending on body condition. You say no rust, which pushes it to the higher end. If it also has no accidents and original paint I think $8k is not outrageous. I paid $5k for my '67 with no accidents/rust and it was in worse or similar cosmetic shape than what you described, and that was several years ago. Early cars (67-68) in un-hit rust free condition are extremely rare and great to restore. If the body is arrow-straight like my 67, that is tough to find. If that is the case I would not worry about paying too much, maybe offer a little less and see if he will deal. Good luck, hope you can aquire it!

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600