• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to I trip the starter to start the car?

flyingfool

ok, so i need to get my car started, but my starter is not getting power, how do i hot wire, or directly power the starter? i tried bridging the posts and all i get is a lot of sparks and a whir noise. but not engine action. am i missing somthing?

and whar are the small terminals on the top of the starter. there are no connecton wires going there.

The solenoid is the little cylinder on the starter. It actuates a rod that moves the starter's gear to turn the flywheel while starting.

Photo courtesy of Jgerock

M3 starter on the left, 2002 on the right.

pics4122010001.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

The smaller wire to the starter is the solinoid wire, Im not even going to try and remember color/gauge. Either way thats the one that engages the starter. If you run a wire from 12v source to the post, it should engage the starter. Ive got a sweet trigger looking deal from radio-shack I use to bump my VW motor.

If the starter is just spinning, try getting a piece of wood, long enough to place against the solinoid and give it a little tap with a Hammer. That sometimes helps

there whould be two post on the solinoid. One a larger cable, from the battery connects to. there is a smaller wire that goes to a smaller post, I forget if it is a spade connector or a 10mm bolt. Thats the one from a switched 12v source ( the ignition Key)

HTH

I labeled the picture with letters, you want to short terminal A with terminal C to engage the starter.

The reason you are seeing sparks and the starter isn't fully engaging is because you are probably trying to connect B and C which will do that, the reason is because the starter is not going to get enough power to fully engage, you need to trigger the solenoid (which works the same way as a relay)

Don't hit your starter with anything unless you can't get it to work at all (even then it isn't a good idea, but if you are stranded and have no other options a good whack will sometimes allow the starter work)

Terminal A: Solenoid Trigger +

Terminal B: Switched power to starter +

Terminal C: Constant Power from Battery +

post-18154-13667624146614_thumb.jpg

74 Golf

Use the diagnostic socket to trigger the starter solenoid.

1) Remove orange cap from the socket on the driver's side below the fusebox.

2) Take car out of gear and pull up hand brake (BE SAFE).

3) To just "bump" the engine, leave key out of the ignition switch.

4) Make short jumper wire from battery + terminal to pin # 7 on diagnostic socket. As soon as you make this connection the starter will turn.

IF you turn the key "on" and do this, the engine should start when the jumper wire is tried again.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

That is starting to sound like your problem. How long have you noticed this problem? Does the key fit really loose in the switch?

IF you turn the key in the "on" position and use the same jumper wire to pin # 7 on the diagnostic plug, does the car start (TAKE car out of gear and set the handbrake first) ?

Or - have you done work under the dash that could have caused a wire to come loose from the ignition switch?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

key was ok. it started as intermitent problem, after i got towed once it satrted the next morning, then a few days later it wouldnt, then did later that day. then nothing. couldnt get it to go till the diagnostic jump. all of the wires on the back of the igntion lock are on there, but theres a few that i cant find the conection points. and looks like my interlock system has been removed.