• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riding lawn mower engine quit - a couple questions

dubois

Kohler CV26S (horizontal v2 26hp). Checked for spark (good), sprayed ether (no start), removed spark plug and checked for spark (good), then I cranked it with my finger on the spark plug hole to check for compression: nothing! not even a slight air blow. Engine cranks and spins freely, it is like there is a big ass hole in the pistons or the pistons are completely disconnected. Anyway, has anybody seen anything like this before. It is bad news, isn't it?

Oh, I checked the oil and it was bone dry, that explains a lot, doesn't it.

Before I make my next move I would like to consult with the board. TIA.

FAQ Member # 91

The bottom of the connecting rod may have come off making the pistons not move? How hard is it to spin and have you checked both cylinders for compression?

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The bottom of the connecting rod may have come off making the pistons not move? How hard is it to spin and have you checked both cylinders for compression?

The engine spins very freely, no compression on either cylinder, the valves move, and the wood dowel that I inserted thru the spark plug hole (which is on top of the cylinder) doesn't move up or down when I crank the engine.

My guess is that something real bad happened...

FAQ Member # 91

I'm feeling you either lost the bottom of both rods or your crankshaft snapped somewhere. Pull it off and open 'er up! They're dirt easy to work on and parts for all Briggs are easy to come by.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I'm feeling you either lost the bottom of both rods or your crankshaft snapped somewhere. Pull it off and open 'er up! They're dirt easy to work on and parts for all Briggs are easy to come by.

Yeah, I always wanted to do an engine re-build, this may be a good way to learn...

FAQ Member # 91