• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road trip from Ohio to Seattle

KFunk

My girlfriend and I will just be riding out there with her brother, as he starts an internship at some kinda fancy place of business in Seattle. I'll be flying back to Ohio.

Unfortunately, I won't be choosing the car. It'll be an '07 Hyundai Elantra w/16K miles, so regrettably, there should be no mechanical problems. It'll be just lots of highway driving.... I won't have much room, but I'll pack some essential tools just in case of a collision with a large jackalope (duct tape, zip ties, vice grips, small socket set, etc.)

I think we'll be taking a northerly route, up past Chicago and Minneapolis, then all the way across on 94/90, or whatever those major highways might be... and I won't be able to zig-zag and sight-see as much as my previous cross-country trip. I think we're gonna stop by Glacier National Park for one, but I haven't determined any other necessary stops yet. Any ideas? It'll be my first time across the northern U.S. I just can't think of anything major that I can see easily, other than looking at the mountains and stopping at roadside diners.

I think we'll be leaving around May 6th, then my flight from Seattle leaves on May 12th. So, we'll fit in whatever we can in that time.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

My girlfriend and I will just be riding out there with her brother, as he starts an internship at some kinda fancy place of business in Seattle. I'll be flying back to Ohio.

Unfortunately, I won't be choosing the car. It'll be an '07 Hyundai Elantra w/16K miles, so regrettably, there should be no mechanical problems. It'll be just lots of highway driving.... I won't have much room, but I'll pack some essential tools just in case of a collision with a large jackalope (duct tape, zip ties, vice grips, small socket set, etc.)

I think we'll be taking a northerly route, up past Chicago and Minneapolis, then all the way across on 94/90, or whatever those major highways might be... and I won't be able to zig-zag and sight-see as much as my previous cross-country trip. I think we're gonna stop by Glacier National Park for one, but I haven't determined any other necessary stops yet. Any ideas? It'll be my first time across the northern U.S. I just can't think of anything major that I can see easily, other than looking at the mountains and stopping at roadside diners.

I think we'll be leaving around May 6th, then my flight from Seattle leaves on May 12th. So, we'll fit in whatever we can in that time.

those cars are actually surprisingly roomy..... they have more head and legroom thana 7-series bim for example. trunk i relatively big too as i recall. have fun on the trip and say hi to mt. perfect snowcapped peak for me (ranier). ;)

Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. Million dollar cowboy bar in Jackson. Have fun.

oof yah, swing by devil's tower too. and mount rushmore. both are stupefying to behold as you approach on the road. one built by nature, the other by anti-nature. ;)

devils-tower-02-500.jpg

might want to rent or download Close Encounters of the Third Kind just to get in the mood... ;)

mount rushmore:

mount-rushmore.jpg

the other side:

backside-of-mount-rushmore.png

;)

Theres always the middle of the country. Colorado,Utah,Nevada into San Francisco. The drive north is spectacular.Wind surfing on the Columbia.Actually to much to list.....Seattle will keep you very busy. Make sure and get out on the Sound.Just remember you can get winter conditions for at least the next month in a half in the mountains wether you go north or south. Have fun....