• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLVED: Control arm torque reality check...

JsnPpp

Hi,

I did see your post and it was helpful actually.

But then I also read that the urethane bushings don't need to be pre-loaded and so preceded to torque it down.

I'm planning on taking it apart tonight to see what I have and make sure all the pieces are in place.

it's been 8 months since this car has been started - shame on me.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I wonder... usually that bolt has 2 holes 90 degrees apart,

so that you can pick one or the other...

combined with a 6- sided nut, that gives you tons of options...

That said, that bolt shouldn't be allowed to move-

if it can, it'll soon wear its way to freedom.

And don't believe the press release, freedom is expensive...

So maybe the sleeve on the inside's the wrong dimension.

Because it should bolt up darned solid.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Aren't the replacement nuts self locking anyhow? Maybe try a new set of nuts and see if you won't need the cotter. I'm guessing the sleeves in your bushings are too short. How about using a washer or 2 on top of the big washer to space the nut towards the cotter hole. I would not enjoy having of those suckers come loose..... go with the spec torque.

P

• 2 weeks later...
Keep in mind that C.D. has connections we can only dream about...

Then if he's gonna toss that out there, he needs to orchestrate a group buy!.. I think we could put up some serious numbers if he could make that happen.

they've gone up in price considerably over the years - CD's probably remembering a price from the nineties!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

From the first post:

"SOLVED!

Thanks for all the help folks. I tore into it last night and found that I had mistakenly placed the wrong washer on the bolt. You can see it in the picture above, it has a cup shape to it and also is thinner than required. I replaced with the proper (thicker) washer and all is good! It didn't take much to make a difference.

It's now torqued to 123 ft lbs and looks great. I appreciate all the help.

-Jason"

• 4 months later...

Yep! Sorry I missed the questions on this post, I had added the Solved! portion not long after I figured out what I did wrong...

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!