• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 1600 back for sale

TonyHavana

This is the car I posted pics of a couple of years ago, with the super-early VIN.

Appears to be for sale at the same place, same price.

Good for a collector.

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Car_details/SCARBOROUGH_Ontario_1966_BMW_1600_1423493.html?srcID=5&frnID=7632690&cofid=ON20090126101341980&prv=Ontario&r=40

Thanks for the pics,

Can any one confirm that the early 1600s had two-tone as an option?

The reason I ask is twofold, I saw an NK color chart on the English site that showed two tone paint as an factory option.

Also I once owned and drove for two years an March 67 1600 (based on the stampings in the roadwheels not the vin#), it was a very early 6-volt car with the remote booster and the mechanical clutch.

But the cars main body was painted 006 Sahara and the roof (much like topic car) was painted a very dark brown, which I at the time took as someone before me custom painted. The dark brown roof when I think about it looked very much like 142 Sepiabraun but was not mentioned on the under hood paint code sticker.

My question is has anyone seen two tone schemes on 02's that they know are original?

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.

Thanks for the pics,

Can any one confirm that the early 1600s had two-tone as an option?

The reason I ask is twofold, I saw an NK color chart on the English site that showed two tone paint as an factory option.

Also I once owned and drove for two years an March 67 1600 (based on the stampings in the roadwheels not the vin#), it was a very early 6-volt car with the remote booster and the mechanical clutch.

But the cars main body was painted 006 Sahara and the roof (much like topic car) was painted a very dark brown, which I at the time took as someone before me custom painted. The dark brown roof when I think about it looked very much like 142 Sepiabraun but was not mentioned on the under hood paint code sticker.

My question is has anyone seen two tone schemes on 02's that they know are original?

I went to see the car in person. It's hard to tell if either color is the original as there is overspray in all the typical places. But if I was to guess I would say the whole car was white as the trunk and engine bay are all white. It's also been converted to 12 volt. Nice early dash, badges and side view mirror etc. Seats are not original. Tires look original ;). It's a direct european import with no side markers etc.

70 M2 2.5L 

Thanks for the report Kris!

I see it has the early NK 10-slat and the side mirror is also NK.

The one I had , had the same dash but mine did not have that badge above the glovebox. I think that lower trim was added on, the car I had had zero there, but the bumpers are the same layout from the one I had.

Agree the seats are newer with the headrests, mine did not even have seatbelts!!!!

The badge on the rear of car looks different than the one I had, on my car it had an curved roundel very high up, almost touching the trunk lid.

Jon

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

WHY do the earlier cars always wind up with that stick-on trim (where the lower trim is on newer cars) ? I guess it wouldn't bug so much, if they didn't (usually) POP-RIVET the ends of each piece. Little shit like this, plus the 12v change and other stuff, make me think this is a rather steep asking price. But then, that could be just me...yes? or no?

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

WHY do the earlier cars always wind up with that stick-on trim (where the lower trim is on newer cars) ? I guess it wouldn't bug so much, if they didn't (usually) POP-RIVET the ends of each piece. Little shit like this, plus the 12v change and other stuff, make me think this is a rather steep asking price. But then, that could be just me...yes? or no?

It's steep. I think 1/2 that would be appropriate, if not a bit less. If it was very original it would be a different story. But it's been painted poorly and undercoated which could be hiding many secrets. And my magnet fell off many sections of the lower body ;). It is also missing the irreplaceable early hood trim and the original front seats.

But it is a cool testament to where our later 02's came from.

Very early vin

April%20280017.JPG

Two-tone, not factory. Found receipts for $1000 for the refresh, he paid too much

April%20280005.JPG

Italian import

April%20280004.JPG

Early model badge

April%20280002.JPG

April%20280003.JPG

April%20280006.JPG

April%20280007.JPG

Cool door strike (and the evidence of rustproofing)

April%20280008.JPG

April%20280009.JPG

April%20280010.JPG

April%20280011.JPG

April%20280012.JPG

Italians love the big horns

April%20280013.JPG

April%20280014.JPG

April%20280015.JPG

I searched for the brake booster before I figured out there wasn't one

April%20280016.JPG

70 M2 2.5L 

Very early vin

April%20280017.JPG

From this foto can see the strut bearings WAY tired (appearance should be concentric), forget about the impact on the steering geometry, literal failure may (or may not) be imminent. Be a damn shame if that strut poked its way through the hood. Meanwhile, I'd guess the whole front suspension is equally tired (and price-ey to rebuild)

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

It's not just you.

First of all Kris thank you very much for the photos!

This may come off as I'm knocking the car, but it is not my intent.

Asking price is way to high Imo, things that would concern me more than the strut bearings is the to-12 volt conversion, the replacement fuse block and it looks like the brake cap has a burn hole in it. Looks open to air! If in fact it is, just how long has that been the case?

I see your point where one thing leads to another and you start to open up a can of worms (in your own head), all the time the price you are willing to

pay keeps dropping!

In the end you can (and in some cases you should) end up talking yourself out of it.

There are things I like about it, and some I don't, again not a knock on the car or owner but I would never be interested in it at that dollar amount.

Jon

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

82 320I