• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question installing B-pillar grab straps

Napes

I'm trying to install a pair of grab straps and I can feel the indentations in the top of the B-pillar where they screw in, but, after poking small holes in the vinyl at that point I cannot get the screws to go in. Do the indentations indicate a location where you need to drill holes? I'm hesitant to proceed without some tips from the more experienced amonst you.

Thanks,

Bob Napier

Guest Anonymous

it was a grab handle - and it should just screw in with the proper screws. Aren't there holes there in the headliner (not on the b pillar)?

No, Bill, I'm not refering to the grab handle. I talking about the vinyl straps (like on a trolley car) that attach near the top of the B-pillar. They were an option on our cars, but not too many around. I just picked up a pair and am trying to install them.

Bob Napier

Bob,

As far as I know, the "loop" handles were for sunroof cars.

If your car has no sunroof, the holes may not be there.

Here's a few shots of my sunroof project car that I (just realised) have yet to refit the handles, and my sunroof parts car that shows the holes (2 per side). AND, last, but not least, what happens to the handles when they are used a bit (the covering pulls out of the clamped part).

post-144-13667624682294_thumb.jpg

post-144-13667624683506_thumb.jpg

post-144-1366762468458_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

....yes - 1959 VW beetle hanger straps - great for hiking

ones fat arse out of the back seat

if you feel the hole - it requires a very fine thread bolt -

as all seat belt mountings in german cars require

bug_misc_interior.jpg

order the screw/bolt from BMW

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

My pic shows the screws required.

According to my parts book the part# is 07 11 9 902 503 (unfortuntely NLA). Description is B4,2 x 19 and total 4 required.

post-232-13667624685944_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks for all the help. I have the OEM screws that came with the straps, I just don't have a hole to screw them into. But, as I stated above (and my car is not a sunroof) I can find the slight depression at the screw hole locations, so I think I just have to drill a small hole and screw them in place. The 2 small holes show in 02Les' 2nd pic.

Thanks all,

Bob Napier