• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 2002tii

steviejr

for me, the preference is purely an aesthetic one.

i REALLY like the retro look of the older style heater bezels on the dash as opposed to the updated ones found on the 73 model. sure they can be swapped out, but....

similarly, the look of the black plastic runners....

although i've seen the aluminum ones smoothed and painted black and they look good.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The tii underwent the same head change in mid-1972 as other 2002s, so for half a year, there was a 2002tii with a 121ti head. This early tii used 10:1 compression pistons and was fitted with the larger 46mm intake valves that were later put on all the E12 heads. The resulting 142 horsepower was used to push a 3.45 rear end. At 4000 rpm, where their 3.64 rear end ratio puts most other 2002s at about 70 mph, the early '72 tii hums closer to 80.

Not everyone agrees with me about the 3.45 rear end (there are references to this on this board), but I recently bought and sold an early '72tii that came with the original owner's manual, and both the 10:1 pistons and the 3.45 rear end were referenced in the owner's manual. Someone said that they thought that only the Euro cars had these things, but the owner's manual for my car was in English.

From a body standpoint, tiis went through the same minor bumper change in mid-72 as any other 2002, so for 1/2 a model year the early '72tii had the pre 2 1/2 mph bumpers. The rear bumper is basically bolted against the body, and the front bumper is tucked in nice and close, giving the car a very tidy, trim look.

I believe that the compression, head, and rear end went hand in hand -- that the early '72s had both the 10:1 pistons, 121ti head, and 3.45 rear end, and all three changed in mid-72. I'm less clear whether all of these early ones also have the close-in bumpers (all the ones I've had did), or whether that change occurred at a similar but not necessarily coincident time.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I'm less clear whether all of these early ones also have the close-in bumpers (all the ones I've had did), or whether that change occurred at a similar but not necessarily coincident time.

The bumper change was for the model year, not a mid-year change. To my mind, because of the smaller bumpers, metal intake runners and better breathing e12 head, the late 72s are the "best."

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/