• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulled my Valve cover and found this.....Goo

TBBMW

it sure looks like a blown head gasket. Check compression and if two adjacent cylinders are low, then, there is your answer. I have had some condensation on some motors, which was completely "normal", but this seems excessive. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet, unless you are overheating, loosing power or running out of coolant.

FAQ Member # 91

Not overheating, actually the car runs a little cool. Just flushed the coolant this weekend and added new coolant. I am loosing power though.... not as strong as she used to be. I will do a compression check tomorrow.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

That can also happen when crankcase ventilation is insufficient. Make sure your baffles aren't plugged in your valve cover, try to blow through them. Clean them out if plugged and you should be good to go.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

That chocolate milkshake is an emulsion of oil and water.

Do your compression test (Wet and Dry) and a leakdown if possible to eliminate it being a serious problem.

But, it's not that unusual for a car which isn't a daily driver to develop some emulsion under the valve cover because the oil absorbs some moisture from combustion which then vaporizes and can then condsense on the highest point - valve cover. It can slowly emulsify with the oil film present to produce exactly what you see.

Do the tests and then decide, but I'm betting you're OK.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Do you use this car as a daily driver? If so how far do you drive it? If not driven far and fast enough you will build up moisture in your engine. If you are driving it hard enough and fast enough keep a sharp eye on the temp gage. How many miles on this oil? G

Has not been my daily driver for about six months due to an oil leak and timing issue. Been driving the e28 while this car rested in the garage. Getting ready for V@V (hopefully) so I worked on the oil leak from front valve cover and installed a "hot-spark". Also installed the stock air filter and took her for a spin the other night (Sunday night) for about 5 miles or so then parked it, discovered this goo on Wed. after I pulled the valve cover because of yet another leak from the top of the valve cover near the timing chain cover and another leak near the distributor.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

Oil leaks are also a symptom of plugged baffles in the valve cover. The pressure builds up and pushes oil past seals.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

Ok, I was able to do a compression test tonight, readings are

Cylinder 1 = 160

Cylinder 2 = 155

Cylinder 3 = 155

Cylinder 4 = 160

Thank goodness it's not a blown head gasket!!!

I also changed the valve cover ( used one from my spare engine) and removed the old venting system and just stuck a hose on the vent tube and ran it down past the brake booster.

I will do a test run tomorrow.

Where I started....

DSCF0032.jpg

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz