• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the better 5 speed for conversion? 3 or 4 bolt?

jrhone

I have a 76 and I am going to do the 5 speed conversion. Which transmission is better? 3 or 4 bolt. Thx.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Either one will work successfully, but the general consensus seems to be that the late E21 6 bolt guibo is somewhat more durable than the 8 bolt unit used on '02s and early E21s.

3 bolt flange units superceeded the 4 bolt units pretty early in the E21 OD 5 speed production run, and are more common - you're going to have to cut and shorten the driveshaft anyway, so it's just as easy to convert to a 6 bolt as not.....

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Whichever one you have is best!

I like the 4 bolt because it's a 2002 part.

I like the 3 bolt because the guibo itself seems more durable.

Often it's easier to find the 3- bolt (2 years vs one)

but for some reason, I seem to be finding mostly 4- bolts recently.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Not to step on your thread, but I feel like this is germane to the topic:

Has anyone compared the e36 non-M 6 bolt guibo (which according to pelicanparts is interchangeable with the e21 unit) and the m3 piece? I know the m3 guibo's are reinforced and don't fall apart as easily. I wonder if the difference is only a few millimeters in thickness and if it could be used on a 5 speed swap if the depth is accounted for when having the driveshaft shortened?

I can't say I'm a fan of the 8 bolt guibos, when they let loose it really seems to just fall apart.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

since we are talking about conversion. I need a 3 hole transmission output flange that will not cost me 2 bills. my 5 speed has 4 and my drive shaft 3. zooz3

Send me an Email at Imapinepig at Surewest dot net I just pulled my broken 5 speed out, and the output shaft is already off, make an offer.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

since we are talking about conversion. I need a 3 hole transmission output flange that will not cost me 2 bills. my 5 speed has 4 and my drive shaft 3. zooz3

Send me an Email at Imapinepig at Surewest dot net I just pulled my broken 5 speed out, and the output shaft is already off, make an offer.

perhaps we can do a 3-way deal here. i have a broken 5spd missing the output flange. i don't care which one i get, so if 'zooz3' buys pinepigs, i could defray the cost of that sale by buying zooz3's extra flange.

just a thought. this is for a tranny that i envision disassembling myself to fix, someday.... just because.

jerryallsmanATyahooDOTcom

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

• 1 year later...