• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting paint!!

Car has been in the body shop all week. They are doing an incredible job. All week they have sanded and smoothed any waves, over 200 hail dings, door dings, etc. Thursday they primed it, but not for paint. It got blocked again after priming to find all high/low spots, and imperfections etc. They will prime and block again on Monday. Tuesday should be final priming and wednesday it gets its bright red pain!!

Since the bumpers are at home I restored them. they looked horrible, ready for the trash. i spent 3 days polishing them and now they look brand new. I love how well these alloy big bumpers polish up.

Hopefull next weekend I will have her home and all the new goodies put on

post-17424-13667625224221_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667625226119_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667625227816_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667625229324_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667625231165_thumb.jpg

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Hey Mike, here is how I did the bumpers. Strip all the black rubber stuff off of them. I used a square vibrating sander. I first sanded them very good with 100 grit, then 220, 400, 800, 1200. I changed sheets about 3 or 4 times on each grit. that way I was always using fresh paper.

Then I used a paper towel and some Mothers Polish. Pushed real hard and started polishing. Mothers works miracles!!

I imagine if you have a buffing wheel on a grinder then the final polishing will be much easier than by hand. But I actually enjoyed the hand polishing part.

The rubber parts I wiped down super good with Acetone. Then sprayed them with engine paint, gloss black. I did a test piece on my car when I first got it. The paint still looked new on it after 6 months...so I just went for it...you would swear these bumpers are almost new

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

wow those bumpers look awesome. Ive never seen a set look that good. you have to be excited.

Steve now my bumpers will match all the new trim goodies I bought from you

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

2 stage paint, the color is Audi Brilliant Red, same color as my A3. It's about as perfect a red as i have ever seen...looks very close to the original Verona thatthe car came with from the facory....just has a brighterr look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Looks great! Gonna be a very nice looking car!

I too reclaimed my alloy bumpers using a method similar to yours - sanded in stages - #400, #800, #1200, #1500. Then used Griot's stage polisheson a foam pad, #1, #2. I admit to not being as anal as you so mine, while looking good, really good actually, are nowhere near as lustrous as yours though.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Nick, the car is looking awesome! You have done an outstanding job. Gotta say I've never seen anybody as "02 bug bit" as you have become! So, when are you going to start on the next one?

Good on ya!

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

NICE WORK!!!

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com