• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

' 76 Spark Plug question

Napes

For NGK plugs are BP5ES plugs OK for an original ' 76 engine (higher 8.9:1 stock compression for automatics, though)? I use BP6ES in my new, higher compression engine, but thought the BP5ES might be better in my wife's car. It has a 32/36 Weber and tii exhaust, but is otherwise stock.

Thanks,

Bob Napier

IMSM, NGK plugs get hotter as the number values increase, so the BP5ES may actually be a better plug for your car.

There is no universal standard on plug heat ranges between manufacturers, though most are in the 85-100 degree range between ranges. In other words, a Bocsh, NGK or Champion #5 plug is not at all the same exact range.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I've used 5's when I couldn't get 6's and I frankly noticed very

little difference. They were both good!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

BP5ES is close to the same heat range as the old Bosch W8DC plugs. BP6ES is close to the same heat range as Bosch W7DC. I use BP5ES in both of my tiis ('73 & '74) and my 3.0 csi. I stay away from the BPRxxx plugs because the R means it's a resistor plug. If you're using the stock wires with the resistor boot plug ends, you don't want the additional resistor in the spark plug too.

--John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️