• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Nicely done, but hardly pretty enough for your car.

You should make a prettier one and give me your current version!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

p.s. I'm about to go out the door and finagle with alpha n idle settings, and others.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Time for a “redneck” PV clearance check. No degree wheel and did want to pull the cams/head to do a more sophisticated check. Just wanted to see what minimum PV clearance was to increase comfort level with the 276 cams.

No pics, but measured the circumference of the crank pulley, divided by 36 and marked off 10 and 20 deg before and after TDC on the crank pulley.

Popped the valve cover, again.

Made a steel bar and bolted to head. This allowed me to position the magnetic base of the dial gauge. What a pita trying to position the dial gauge to get past the cam to the valve shim.

2012-03-18_19-31-02_93.jpg

Once that is in position, ya gotta push the valve down until it contacts the piston….against the strength of the springs. Takes a lot of pressure. Made a tool that allows me to lean on the shim with my body weight.

Some solid rod I had laying around, the bench grinder, saw and the welder. Presto! T-handle so I can lean on it. ground it narrower at the bottom to fit around the cam.

2012-03-18_15-42-11_774-1.jpg

2012-03-18_15-42-03_23-1.jpg

In use..i am standing on a stack of tires and the front fender so I can lean on it.

2012-03-18_19-28-17_911.jpg

set gauge to zero, lean on tool until valve hits piston, read gauge. Initial PV results indicate the gaps are a little less than stock, but a touch more than the motorsport spec. may be ok, but am going to recheck again tomorrow.

2xM3

results...min values found from cyl 1&4

intake .051in @ TDC

exhaust .056in @ 10deg BTDC

so..intake side looks to be over the MS spec of .047in, exhaust side looks to be just under MS spec of .059in.

only one exhaust valve was at that number. all the rest were at .060in or greater.

i can get another .02in clearance by going one size thinner on the valve shim for that one cyl. that would make all the measured PVC's greater than MS spec.

2xM3

there are many threads on Mandrel Bend Solutions in Pasedena, MD on various BMW forums. based on the recommendation, i trailered my M2 to them today for a 2.5in complete system. Greg is the man. outstanding quality work and creativity to get a system in there that the car was not designed for. y-pipe to tail pipe.

highly recommended!

Out with the old 2002 turbo system and Aardvark y-pipe

2012-03-21_11-43-00_655.jpg

2012-03-21_13-22-12_161-1.jpg

In with the new. Header flange for y-pipe from Lee at Massive. Borla muffler as resonator, magnaflow resonator as the muffler. Uses all the stock hanger mounting points, including welded on bracket to attach to tranny.

2012-03-21_11-43-58_952.jpg

2012-03-21_11-43-25_516.jpg

2012-03-21_13-18-38_993.jpg

2012-03-21_13-18-46_162.jpg

2012-03-21_15-21-01_381.jpg

2012-03-21_15-21-11_231.jpg

2012-03-21_15-14-49_51.jpg

2012-03-21_13-18-53_329.jpg

The definition of frustration….having a new “throaty” exhaust system and not being able to rev above 3k rpm due to sorting our piston/valve clearances from new cams…

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

need more pv clearance. got some VAC slotted gears. Marked the heck out of the camshaft, old gears, new gears and chain and and used zip ties to mark the chain and to hold the chain up to keep tenion on the crank gear while changing.

DSCN5557.jpg

DSCN5564.jpg

Got the vac gears in, put tensioner back in, set crank to tdc, then put dial indicator on an exhaust valve. Used s14 cam adjuster to bump the cam until I saw the desired increase in gap on the dial guage. Repeated for intake side. Got me in ball park.

DSCN5566.jpg

Then went back and measured pvc between 10-0 bdc for exhaust and 0-10 adc for intake. Adjusted cam slightly on each side. Ended up with .065 intake and .080 exhaust pvc minimum. That should work….

Stared and stared at these pin/eccentric deals for the gears and could not figure out a way to use them. They were not all labeled and saw no easy way to swap them out with gears in car. plus they go under the dizzy drive and the lock plates, so once that stuff is on, can’t get them in. maybe if they were used when building an engine, but not useful in my case….

DSCN5565.jpg

Marked cams before (black dot in notch)

DSCN5550.jpg

DSCN5548.jpg

And here they are after. Not much change, but enough….

DSCN5568.jpg

DSCN5569.jpg

Readjusting valve lash tomorrow…

2xM3

Wow, ya had to flip the motor 180 degrees to move those cams. What price piece of mind!

Purty radiator -- is that a 3 core turbo one?

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

:-)

not exactly a turbo one. three row custom made from two other radiators. slightly thicker core than normal turbo and the mounting flanges are attached so that i can push the rad forward more than stock.

2xM3

Valve adjust

IE rad removal

SG rad test fit

Crank pulley replacement

Water pump pulley replacement

After bumping the cam timing, I readjusted the valve lash…again. This time I just went up on size (.05mm) on all the shims to close the lash a little.

Then pulled the IE radiator. A bit smaller and thinner than the Silicon Garage replacement.

DSCN5573.jpg

DSCN5574.jpg

Test fit the SG radiator….gonna have to do more creative clearancing of the metal work to get it installed. Will also have to relocate the pass side horn and find a different mounting method for the electric fan.

DSCN5576.jpg

The area marked with the black marker is metal that will have to succumb to the air body saw..

DSCN5583.jpg

And now that the snorkel is gone…do I have a tii? No snorkel and fuel injection!

DSCN5575.jpg

Time to replace the broken crank pulley. Nut is on with 320ftlbs of tq….. put car in 5th gear, locked up the ebrake, put a jack handle on a breaker bar and off it came.

DSCN5578.jpg

The broken one and its replacement.

DSCN5579.jpg

Next swapped in a new waterpump pulley. Old one looked like it had some odd corrosion.

DSCN5580.jpg

DSCN5581.jpg

Front of engine freshened up….just waiting on some M6 10.9 bolts to lock down the cam gears with before putting the dizzy back on.

DSCN5582.jpg

2xM3

got the M6x1 15mm grade 10.9 bolts in today. the stronger bolts allow a little more TQ to be used to clamp the slotted cam gears tighter. added healthy dose of red locktite, not that i am paranoid about them coming out or anything...

DSCN5585.jpg

bolts in, lock plates on.

DSCN5587.jpg

engine buttoned up, again. would love to try it, but gotta finish the radiator install next.

DSCN5588.jpg

2xM3