• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil dipstick tube lis loose. fix?

flyingfool

soo each time i check my oil my tube comes out with the stick. quite loose. that in itself isnt so bad but i think oil is getting out of the pan throgh the play in the tube as my engine on that side and area is just covered with wet oil all the time. just wondering if there might be an easy fix for this. thoiught about RTV or somting, but im not sure about it holding up to the heat and all.

thanks

I believe the tube is pressed into the block. You might try tapping on the tube with a hammer the next time the dipstick and lower hose is out. Be carefull not to knock it in too far.

Are the (2) hose clamps which secure the upper tube to the lower tube hose tight?

pics11282010042.jpg

You can see the bottom portion of the tube directly below the # 2 main bearing cap in this photo (front of engine is on the right here). Since this is a tii block, the oil drain tube from the KF pump is seen to the left of the dipstick tube.

pics1252010001.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

ways: on early cars there's an aluminum casting that's bolted to the block--on some years that's part of the bracket that holds the air pump--and the tube is pressed into the casting. On this style if the tube is loose, unbolt the bracket from the block, take a tapered punch and gently flare the bottom end of the tube on the underside of the bracket. Cut a new paper gasket and reinstall.

If it's the later style with a tube pressed into the block with a rubber connecter holding the longer tube in place, pull the tube out of the block and again, gently flare the bottom of the tube with a tapered punch. Do this VERY carefully--you want a tight fit, but too much flaring and it won't go back into the block. If you have to tap it in place with a brass or lead hammer, you have it right. A little loctite wouldn't hurt, either.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

style dipstick setup with the short metal tube pressed into the block, a short rubber hose clamped to the tube, and a longer metal tube clamped to the rubber sleeve. The whole wretched mess is stabilized by a bracket that runs to the block from the upper tube.

Determine where it's coming loose...is the short tube pulling out of the block, is the long tube pulling out of the rubber sleeve etc.

It may be that the stabilizing bracket isn't firmly holding the upper tube. That should clamp the tube tightly enough so that the tube/sleeve/tube assy shouldn't pull out of the block when you remove the dipstick. And of course that 35+ year old rubber sleeve is probably cracked and/or hard as a rock, and the clamps are loose/rusted/missing etc...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite