• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temp Gauge Actual Temperatures?

ClayW

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

C.D., et al,

Knowing the range is very helpful for an issue I'm having right now, but also, have our cars shown to preform best at certain temp within that range?

Thank you,

Brett

1974 BMW 2002 Polaris and Chamonix

1969 Chevy Chevelle

www.austinsynthetics.com

** Independent Amsoil Dealer **

C.D., et al,

Knowing the range is very helpful for an issue I'm having right now, but also, have our cars shown to preform best at certain temp within that range?

Thank you,

Brett

middle of the stock gauge...which is 190-200 deg.

2xM3

should really substitute the M10 guage sender in the M42 position so the gauge reads correctly. the ECU runs off a separate sender. this is what i did with my S14.

I agree. I've got both the m10 for the stock gauge and later sender for the EDU.

I just thought it was good info.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

Since you have the m42, you might find the resistance to temperature chart helpful for the m42 sensor.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/en-US/literature/en-US/0280130026_DataSheet_enUS_T6821415051.pdf

Interesting.

The M42 operates at 88C (190F) as compared to the M10's operating temperature of 80C (176F). When swapping to the M42, you can use the 2002 sensor so it will work with the stock gauge. The only problem is that 88C, which is normal for the M42 is about 2/3 of the way up the dial, which is disconcerting at a glance (even though it's not dangerous).

So, there are two options:

1. Replace the 2002 temp gauge with the E30 gauge. They look like the same typical VDO size gauges, so you could easily swap them. The problem is that the E30 gauge goes in the opposite direction, so up would be cool and down would be hot.

2. If you use the E30 sender with the 2002 gauge, the gauge will register lower. While inaccurate, it will look closer to the M10's reading, which leads to two sub-options:

----2a. Repaint the gauge face with numbers. This would be nice, but, of course, you'd have to figure out where the numbers should go. A little experimentation would be necessary.

----2b. Leave the 2002 gauge alone and add a second sender to a separate, numbered VDO gauge in the console or something.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Since you have the m42, you might find the resistance to temperature chart helpful for the m42 sensor.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/en-US/literature/en-US/0280130026_DataSheet_enUS_T6821415051.pdf

Interesting.

The M42 operates at 88C (190F) as compared to the M10's operating temperature of 80C (176F). When swapping to the M42, you can use the 2002 sensor so it will work with the stock gauge. The only problem is that 88C, which is normal for the M42 is about 2/3 of the way up the dial, which is disconcerting at a glance (even though it's not dangerous).

So, there are two options:

1. Replace the 2002 temp gauge with the E30 gauge. They look like the same typical VDO size gauges, so you could easily swap them. The problem is that the E30 gauge goes in the opposite direction, so up would be cool and down would be hot.

2. If you use the E30 sender with the 2002 gauge, the gauge will register lower. While inaccurate, it will look closer to the M10's reading, which leads to two sub-options:

----2a. Repaint the gauge face with numbers. This would be nice, but, of course, you'd have to figure out where the numbers should go. A little experimentation would be necessary.

----2b. Leave the 2002 gauge alone and add a second sender to a separate, numbered VDO gauge in the console or something.

middle of the stock gauge is 200deg or so. the m42 optimal temp will be dead center, not 2/3 of the way up..... use an m10 sender with the stock gauge. you are making this harder than it needs to be.

DSCN4828.jpg

2xM3

middle of the stock gauge is 200deg or so. the m42 optimal temp will be dead center, not 2/3 of the way up..... use an m10 sender with the stock gauge. you are making this harder than it needs to be.

I currently have the M10 sender and gauge in the car. The previous thoughts were based on my hastily done math, which was clearly incorrect.

Middle of the gauge is 91C (195.8F). The M42 should be running at 88C, which would be just under 1/2 way up the dial. Right now, it looks like I'm running at about 99C, which is definitely too high. I've got a lower temp thermostat on the way, but I otherwise have a new radiator, new hoses and a new water pump. Any other ideas on how to cool it down?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

There's some variation in what the gauge actually shows...

honestly, while the stock gauge is very SENSITIVE,

it's not all that ACCURATE, so if'n it was me, I'd find

a way to check the calibration before I got too crazy.

Also, it's really sensitive to stray current, so I'd meter around

just to see if all my grounds were good and solid...

thinking out loud...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL