• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone changed a drive shaft center bearing..... Tips..

FL_72_2002

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,364648/highlight,/

Just did it recently, you'll need to remove the drive shaft, obviously, then take the drive shaft halves apart via the big 24 mm nut inside the clevis, see pasted post above. Once its apart use a wheel puller to pull off the bearing (I cut the rubber boot close to the bearing first to make it easier to grab. Installation is the reverse, only you can tap it on with a big socket or piece of pipe. Do a search on "center bearing" and the "drive shaft nut" removal and you'll find some good tips with pictures in some cases. Two biggest things to remember is to take your time and mark the halves of the shaft before you separate them, otherwise it may be out of balance when you reassemble it.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Many people have had to grind off a little bit from their 24mm box end wrench to get in in the tight space. That is not a given, because my Craftsman 24mm combo wrench fit in there just fine.

A chain vise-grip prier is a nice item to use to hold the driveshaft from rotating while you undo the bolts from the diff and guibo.

You are replacing the guibo, while you are in there? Also, think about all the bolts and mounts for the shifter platform. Now is the time.

Not a difficult job. Only a pain if you have to lay on your back. Get it out of there and treat yourself to the rest of the job on an elevated workbench.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Try dropping the shaft on a chunk of wood on the floor to slide the bearing off, worked for me. One hit. It's not on there that tight. Thanks to Todd21 for that tip.

I suspect that the recommended "preload" that you must put on the center bearing when bolting it to the car is simply tension to keep the thing in place.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Yeah, I had to put the driveshaft in a big freaking table vice, squeeze down on it so tight I thought I was going to deform it, and put a big pipe on the end of my wrench. The nut never "cracked" (gave a loud CRACK and then let go); instead it was an eighth a turn at a time of back-wrenching leverage.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

That's the way I did it too. I actually used those photos to figure out how to do it with misc items I had at my disposal to hold it in place. Instead of kneeling on the bolted on bar, I wedged it under the tire of my boat trailer so I could get the leverage.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)