• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tension Strut IE bushing

Cris.MTL

Hey, So I've been chasing a clunk for the better part of the summer and frankly its been driving me crazy. This post is kinda a two parter so please bare with me.

1. The clunk seems to be coming from the front end, It only happens once in a while ( maybe once or twice in one drive) and it sounds very metalic, not so much as a thump. It always happens when im braking towards the end of my braking if you get what i mean. I do feel it slightly in my steering wheel. I have already check the caliper, brake pads, Lower ball joint, bolts from pitarm to main strut and sway bar. all check out fine. Do any of you guys have any idea where I can look next? Is it possible its not suspension?

2. Now while searching for the noise, I came across my bushings for the tension strut to the subframe. In the picture below, the nut is as tight as possible yet I still have a gap between subframe and outer bushing piece. I got them from IE. Is it possible I installing them wrong? I've crossed referenced with REALOEM and everything seems to match up.

356c5181.jpg

*I've done a search multiple times with no luck*

Have you futzzed with the strut bearings? If so, you must get all the washers and spacers in the correct order or that clunk will drive you nuts.

strut-1.jpg

This is what my front strut bush looked like during assembly. It is not an IE one. I believe I put the stock "turbo" ones in.

Frontframe1.jpg

This was a shot when it was tired.

IMG_0352.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

From my experience, this is the downside of urethane bushings in this type of application. Once they developed a shape, they wear in that shape and a clunk ensues due the wear. I do like urethane in applications like sway bar end links but, not in anything that pivots with load. If I could get hard rubber bushings for the sway bar mounts, I'd use them there too.

Just my .02 cents. This post is in no way a slam on any products or others opinions. Just personal experience.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Maybe someone with IE bushes can help. Or call IE and ask them, they are good guys.

Good advice to call! Of course Bill's great pictures do wonders... however.

This looks like a case of not quite analyzing the right spots, and certainly doesn't have anything to do with the bushing wear (for the record I'll put urethane bushings to replace the rubber pieces any day all day, they've proved over and over to last FAR longer than the rubber equivalent. Shoot the subframe I used to rebuild came from a circle-track '02, it had IE urethane bushings from the mid-90's that were still in great shape. No offense taken cj, I guess as they say, opinions vary) .

Here's a picture of and IE bushing before going onto my car...

frontsubframe3.jpg

Note that just like Bill's turbo bushing pictures the mount is flush. The difference between the pictures Bill and I have posted and yours is that your shot was taken with the car hanging in the air while ours were on the ground (uninstalled). So your picture was taken while the car was at full droop and the full weight of the suspension was pulling on that bushing, causing it to be slightly askew. Is the nut perhaps caught on a burr? or is the radius rod thread stretched? Or somehow out of thread (use some thick washers if this is the case)?

As for as other options are concerned, I'd be interested in looking at some things like...

Motor mount bolts, tranny mount (and surrounding bolts), Subframe to chassis bolts, the bolts that attach the rear subframe to the diff. Your end-links ok?

Still might be best to call, it's hard to cover everything over typing.

@ Ace

Ya that makes alot sense what you said about the bushing being out of wack due to the weight, I messed around with it and took it all apart and put it back together. and without any weight, the bushing fit perfect. I inserted the metal sleeve and all was well until I started tightening that nut. Even with the tension strut & lower arm unbolted from the main strut(there fore as little weight as I can manage), it started to skew. Its as if the metal sleeve gets pushed out. I managed to "fix" it by adding second washer with a larger I.D. in between the first washer and bushing.

b086e1bf.jpg

As for the clunking, I've check subframe bolts, motor mounts and tranny mounts, all seem tight. the mounts themselves seem a little tired but my experience is limited.

One thing i forgot to mention is this noise seems to be connected to driving in reserve. I'll explain...

I'll drive down the street, hear it "Clunk" as if something is "sliding" into place, a metal on metal sound and then won't hear it again. Then I'll reserve into a parking or whatever, and when I drive off again, it Clunks again!

Anyways, I know im starting to rant here but its been driving me nuts. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have IE Bushings and I'm chasing down the very same issue. I think it is limited to my left front side. Although, I have coil-overs and thought it was the spring perch at first. However, after reading this and thinking about it a bit, I think you are on the right track.

My situation occurs after I have backed up the car and then take off down the road. At the first stop, I hear the CLUNK in the front left and feel it in the steering. I was futzing around with the sway bar this weekend thinking it might be hitting something, but that makes no sense as I am just braking at 25 miles per hour and it only happens the first application of the brakes after going in reverse.

I'll take a look this weekend, but do think it has to do with what you are chasing down as well.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

I have IE Bushings and I'm chasing down the very same issue. I think it is limited to my left front side. Although, I have coil-overs and thought it was the spring perch at first. However, after reading this and thinking about it a bit, I think you are on the right track.

My situation occurs after I have backed up the car and then take off down the road. At the first stop, I hear the CLUNK in the front left and feel it in the steering. I was futzing around with the sway bar this weekend thinking it might be hitting something, but that makes no sense as I am just braking at 25 miles per hour and it only happens the first application of the brakes after going in reverse.

I'll take a look this weekend, but do think it has to do with what you are chasing down as well.

I don't think he's on the right track, which is why I'm trying to help. If it is limited to one side and this bushing is used on both sides it doesn't make sense.

Again, it's probably best to call to get it figured out.

I'll re-torque all my suspension components this weekend and see if that cures the problem. If not, I'm going to take apart my coil-over and camber plates to see i that may be the issue with the washers in the wrong order. I took those apart twice and followed the assembly instructions from IE, so doubt it is that.

If I notice anything, I'll report back.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

Quote "I'll drive down the street, hear it "Clunk" as if something is "sliding" into place, a metal on metal sound and then won't hear it again. Then I'll reserve into a parking or whatever, and when I drive off again, it Clunks again!"

Could this be related to the rear diff?

Mark