• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

space saver spare in 15in

M3M3

ooo...cool. may have to look for one. still a bit "short" in tire size to be optimal. 40mm less diameter than a 195/50. would not be able to use on rear with LSD.

the cobalt rim has a 115/70 15 tire. a touch bigger, but still not big enough. wheel design does not look to clear the brakes though.

VW B3 B4 Passat Corrado MK3 Jetta Golf Spare Tire T125 / 80 R15 CST17 4x100 15" is 5mm taller than 195/50.

2xM3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if the space saver is too short for the rear, you could always, in the event of a rear flat, put the spare on the front and move one of the front tires to the rear. Yes, it'd be a pain.

And 2002 wheels are lugcentric. The original steel wheels are not a precision round center bore (it's actually pretty uneven), and the hubs are not designed for hubcentric mounting--look at a stock rear drum/hub: no lip. Also look at this factory rear wheel bearing diagram I swiped from one of CD's posts. There's a lot of space betweean the center bore of the wheel and the hub.

02rearwheelbearings02diagramspec.jpg

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Even if the space saver is too short for the rear, you could always, in the event of a rear flat, put the spare on the front and move one of the front tires to the rear. Yes, it'd be a pain.

And 2002 wheels are lugcentric. The original steel wheels are not a precision round center bore (it's actually pretty uneven), and the hubs are not designed for hubcentric mounting--look at a stock rear drum/hub: no lip. Also look at this factory rear wheel bearing diagram I swiped from one of CD's posts. There's a lot of space betweean the center bore of the wheel and the hub.

02rearwheelbearings02diagramspec.jpg

-Dave

Go out and fit one on the car, it will be different than a dwg intended to show rear bearings. Send photo of the fit.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Go out and fit one on the car, it will be different than a dwg intended to show rear bearings.

I do run steels on my car, and they are not hubcentric. The rear hub is tapered, not stepped like a true hubcentric setup, and the wheel center bore is not an even circle. I actually have a good 1/8" or more between the center bore of the steel wheels and the hub. BMW apparently started with the hubcentric fitment on the e21--the 02 is clearly different than my e30 in this regard. What wheels are you running? I wonder if alloys are a tighter fit. Also, do you have a big brake setup? E21 hubs might make an 02 hubcentric.

And I'm not intending to get into a contest of wills over this; just sharing my experience and the fact that every thread I've seen on the topic has come down on the side of lugcentric.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

ooo...cool. may have to look for one. still a bit "short" in tire size to be optimal. 40mm less diameter than a 195/50. would not be able to use on rear with LSD.

the cobalt rim has a 115/70 15 tire. a touch bigger, but still not big enough. wheel design does not look to clear the brakes though.

VW B3 B4 Passat Corrado MK3 Jetta Golf Spare Tire T125 / 80 R15 CST17 4x100 15" is 5mm taller than 195/50.

I have also found that a late model Mazda MX5 (Miata) runs a 15" space saver with 4 x 100 pattern.  I just have to find a wrecker with one.  Earlier cars had a 14" space saver.

'73 BMW 2002Tii,'89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo,'56 Renault 4CV with 16 TS motor, 

'76 BMW R90S, '68 BMW R60/2, '51 BMW R51/3, '38 BMW R71

Ipswich, Australia.