• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bang For Your Buck Go Faster Mods

glemon

My 74 2002 seems to be running fairly well, it is great fun, but would be nice to get a little more kick in the pants when I push on the loud pedal, I am not looking to spend big bucks, not build the ultimate street motor, just maybe find 20-25 more ponies without breaking the bank or compromising drivability too much.  I have a stock motor with a weber 32/26 and a hi flow exhaust.  My first thought was skim the head, but I have read that is not the best option on these cars, so I am open to suggestions????

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

4.10 gears and smaller tires :P Basically about the only option you have is a Weber 38. Then it starts to become new cam, new pistons, new carbs, new other stuff. A lot of that stuff goes together...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

4.10 gears and smaller tires :P Basically about the only option you have is a Weber 38. Then it starts to become new cam, new pistons, new carbs, new other stuff. A lot of that stuff goes together...

This would be my suggestion. Well maybe not skinny tires :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I've installed a 292 cam, dual 40 DHLA carbs, IE shorty header, complete MSD ignition system, AND 2x "Respect Your Elders" stickers... It's an amazing combo! ;)

Check my various posts for details.

Cheers,

Jeffrey 8^)

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

I didn't mean only skimming the head, just mentioning that it was one of the first options I thought of because it can be a pretty effective method of bumping HP and torque up to a point.  Also because often the first answer to questions is "search the archives" and did look around a little and discovered that skimming was not a great option for these engines.  My other thought is of course a cam, but I know a cam in most motors does more good with raised compression, and improved breathing if needed, but while I am not averse to doing my own engine work (other than what needs to be farmed out to a machine shop) new pistons and a total engine teardown, and of course as long as you are doing that, new bearings, etc. etc. is beyond what I would be ready to leap into right now.   

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Only thing raw power is good for is boosting your ego at the stoplights against rice burners and muscle heads. REAL drivers know that "going faster" is all about how fast you can take a corner.

I've found the limits of grip on my stock (but fresh) suspension with some generic 185 tires, and it is fast enough to put a lot of newer (heavier) cars to shame. I drive 200-300 miles a week, every single day, all weather, and it's taken me over a year to really find the limits of what a relatively factory stock 02 has to offer. 

Ultimately, my point is that if you still haven't fully gotten use of what you have, there is no point spending money to make the car EVEN better than you. 

• Like 1

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Rocan, I like your style!

Yeah, as far as finding that extra 25hp, it's hard for me to reccomend anything because all these mods really go hand in hand.

The 2002 'with the M10 in my opinion is more of a "watch me catch you in the corners/twisties" kind of car. If you're looking for "No traction in 1st, and 2nd gear when on the LOUD pedal", it's all possible. I'm thinking a M20 with light mods could easily move a 2002 with some power. That's what route I plan on going.

Edited by kid2002

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

Only thing raw power is good for is boosting your ego at the stoplights against rice burners and muscle heads. REAL drivers know that "going faster" is all about how fast you can take a corner.

I've found the limits of grip on my stock (but fresh) suspension with some generic 185 tires, and it is fast enough to put a lot of newer (heavier) cars to shame. I drive 200-300 miles a week, every single day, all weather, and it's taken me over a year to really find the limits of what a relatively factory stock 02 has to offer. 

Ultimately, my point is that if you still haven't fully gotten use of what you have, there is no point spending money to make the car EVEN better than you. 

I do understand what you are saying, and believe me I am not totally a horsepower demon, but it is nice to be able to put a little power down and steer out of the corners.  I think the car has very nice handling, and in fact will counter your argument about it not being all about power, that it is not all about grip either, but overall handling, my car has 185/70s on it, and I would consider replacing them with 165/80s, which I believe is the stock size, I have found many (vintage) cars feel lighter and more "alive" on stock skinny tires and wheels than the wider, more modern options, and if the suspension is not modified to suit, the roll angles and geometry changes brought about by the higher level of grip can make the car's handling less precise or even disconcerting at the limit (I am talking in general, haven't had enough experience with the 2002 to say) even if ultimate grip may be higher.  Plus on skinny tires you can have more fun on public roads without being too much of a menace to society.

With most engines, especially from the early emissions era, there is usually a little horsepower they left on the table that you can find pretty easily, and get without compromising day to day driveability, that is what I am looking for. 

I am also aware that even with 20 more horsepower I will still lose a stoplight race to most any new Kia or Toyota Anonobox, the thrill of going faster in a straight line wears off fast, although I have never had a 427 Cobra, and maybe that would be different, I have bought cars that may be a couple seconds quicker to 60 than the prior auto, at first it feels real quick, then you get used to it and it just feels normal.

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

The m10 makes good power. The 02 is so light that very little makes a big difference.

With a 292, weber 32/36, stock crap exhaust, and really well adjusted ignition (megajolt, so crank trigger) planting the throttle in first will often break a tire lose. With exhaust and fuel injection (or bigger carbs) I could probably gain an extra 10hp, but really it's decently quick just how it is. I can take on most newer 1.6 liter NA's and beat them (IE, 90s hondas). It will rev higher than my nerves let me, and it will top out the speedo with a long stretch of highway (or a 330i to draft ;) ). Throw on a turbo and most everything is mincemeat. IMHO there is no need for 6 cylinders in an 02, and if you ask any racer they will tell you that the best car to learn to drive in is an NA RWD slightly underpowered 4 cylinder. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...