• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Shaft Cap Or Clip

Ferrance

If you are talking about the bushing that secures the fan on the motor shaft, you might look at McMaster-Carr or in a large hardware store for a bushing with set screw.  Another cheap alternative is to look for a plastic cap with metal spring washer like used on the end of an axle (kid's toy or wagon).

Here is the bushing that came on my Bosch replacement heater motor/fan

1909005.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

In the picture above, the red plastic bushing is actually the fan hub and part of the fan blade assembly; they're pressed together, and are pretty easy to separate inadvertently when trying to remove the fan assy from the motor shaft.  If you found a hub with a set screw, you'd have to solder or somehow glue it to the fan.  If the hub you find is pot metal, soldering won't work; you'd need a steel or brass hub.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

In the picture above, the red plastic bushing isactually the fan hub and part of the fan blade assembly; they're pressed together, and are pretty easy to separate inadvertently when trying to remove the fan assy from the motor shaft.  If you found a hub with a set screw, you'd have to solder or somehow glue it to the fan.  If thehub you find is pot metal, soldering won't work; you'd need a steel or brass hub.

mike

Sorry Mike but my replacement assembly uses (2) red plastic bushings that locate the fan on the shaft.  One below and one above the fan blade.  When I installed the assembly in the heater box top, I accidently moved the bottom bushing, making the fan wobble.  I was surprised it would come that way.   My original heater blade came with a hub with tiny set screw.

1909010.jpg

1909006.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks for the update on the new fan/motor assemblies.  They're not anything like the original ones.  Older '02s had a metal fan hub with a set screw; later ones, a plastic hub that was a press fit.  These later ones were really difficult to remove from the motor shaft without breaking something (usually the plastic hub) or bending the blades.  

Regardless of style, it's important to get the fan positioned so it doesn't hit the heater housing either while operating or just freewheeling from airflow while the car's moving.  It'll cause a dinging sound that'll drive you crazy--and to cure it you'll have to remove the heater and take it apart to reposition the fan blades. 

If those plastic hubs work themselves loose again you might look into finding a couple of metal hubs with set screws to replace 'em...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite