• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Hose Interferes With New Fuel Pump

Goudey

Got a new fuel pump from Autohaus for 76 2002.  It rubs on the small hose from intake manifold to junction with big radiator hoses. The old pump was taller and the hose fitted under it.  Now I need a very flexible hose or ??? so it won't get chaffed by the shorter pump.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Richard

but the entire engine assembly vibrates like crazy. anything soft touching anything hard will chafe through over time.

I disagree on a hose as short as this.  I also disagree with the amount of vibration.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks for the ideas but there isn't any room under the pump for a chafe guard.  What I am looking for is a lightweight, (blue/red) easily bendable,  thin wall type hose.......I have seen them on hotrods....  Called Summit racing and they can source a s/s flex hose but way too expensive and not that bendable.

Any ideas on this type of hose?  Has any other 2002 owner change the fuel pump to the new "short" style pumps?

Richard

Ok..   So you're talking about the hose that exits toward the back of the car, and is feeding the water choke on the carburetor.  The pump pretty much sits right on the top of this nipple from the water neck, so there isn't much you can do to re-route, etc.  Considering the fact that both parts in question are stationary, there isn't much risk of a rub through.  If the pump will make it past the nipple and mount, just run it.  You'll be fine. 

If it won't mount, you'll have to get the proper pump because that's a pressurized coolant line.

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Yes, my new pump is the short style and is up tight to the hose.  I installed it a year and a half ago and it has not been a problem.  It is probably fine as long as the hose is fresh.  

033.jpg

(I have cleaned up the carburetor and crappy hose clamps) ( :) )  

how old is that fuel line on left side of pump? looks a little old/swollen or wrong size.....

2xM3

Yeah.. that's a (6mm) PIA. 

Ever notice that the the metal tank pickup tube is small, too?  The stock cloth covered hose that connects to it has a short nylon sleeve inserted to down size the ID so it will fit over it snug, and then that hose connects to the larger (8mm) nylon line that runs to the engine compartment...  oddness.

Edited by eurotrash

(O=o00o=O)

Ok..   So you're talking about the hose that exits toward the back of the car, and is feeding the water choke on the carburetor.  The pump pretty much sits right on the top of this nipple from the water neck, so there isn't much you can do to re-route, etc.  Considering the fact that both parts in question are stationary, there isn't much risk of a rub through.  If the pump will make it past the nipple and mount, just run it.  You'll be fine. 

If it won't mount, you'll have to get the proper pump because that's a pressurized coolant line.

Actually, the hose provides hot water to the intake when the cabin  heater water is shut off.   Flow is from the head outlet to the intake, out the intake and back to the water pump.

It is pretty much new.  The outlet side of the pump is smaller than the inlet side.  I have wondered why they make them this way.  Any idea?

Pump suction inlets are always larger than the discharge (even on large pumps of thousands of HP, I worked with pumps and pumping systems, in part, for 40years) so the fluid won't cavitate.

I stand corrected I suppose.

Mine was de smogged, and bypassed the manifold when the lower hose to the intake manifold wore through against the block and sprung a leak..  I routed mine directly to the heater core so as to have a cooler intake charge.. and the nipplone` in question straight to the choke/choke to block.

All of which are gone now.

I frgets o'er time, these things.

Regardless, all the above advice applies.  Just run it.

Actually, the hose provides hot water to the intake when the cabin  heater water is shut off.   Flow is from the head outlet to the intake, out the intake and back to the water pump.

Edited by eurotrash

(O=o00o=O)