• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Id Size Of Heater Core To Heater Valve Hose

schoir
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Were there two different Inner Diameter hoses offered for the small (about 2 1/2 inches long) heater hose that runs from the passenger side heater core outlet (inlet) to the rear of the brass outlet of the heater valve?

I know that my original hose is original on my '71 as I have never replaced it, but somehow, the new replacement hose seems to have a larger ID and OD and seems to be much thicker than the original hose. The new hose is a looser fit than normal over each of the two nipples. (Part number of the replacement hose is 64111351462 and was superseded by 64111353353).

Wondering if the (tube) size of that little hose changed between early and late 2002's?

Regards, Maurice.

• Solution

Yep, there were two different sized heater cores used on 2002s that manifest themselves with different sized nipples on the heater core, a different sized heater valve and thus different diameter (and shape) on all 3 heater hoses.  If your'71 has a VIN in the 167xxxx range, then it will have the smaller diameter hoses and smaller heater valve.  I don't exactly remember when the factory changed over to the larger heater core & valve, but knowing BMW some of the early 257xxxx VINs may still use the early style smaller hoses (using up stock).

If you measure the diameter of the nipple on the heater valve and the corresponding heater core nipple, convert to inches, you'll be able to buy a length of straight heater hose at your local auto parts emporium where they sell it by the foot.  Then cut the new hose to its proper lenght (just a few inches) lube up the valve and core nipples with silicone grease or dishwashing soap, slip the two hose clamps onto the hose, slide it in place and tighten the clamps.  That should do it.  Be careful sliding the hose onto the valve; the plastic ear that the valve is bolted to is pretty flimsy and can be broken by vigorous twisting trying to work the hose onto the valve nipple.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Find a car parts store with heater/radiator hose by the foot (I know the carquest near me was the only place I could find). You'll end up paying less than $1 instead of needing to find a preformed hose of the right OD at a car shop and paying $10.

I believe the later years (not yours) is 18mm, I had to buy a 3/4" (19mm) ID hose but thats nothing hose clamps can't solve. They had many smaller diameters available too.

Thanks guys...the auto parts store it is, with heater valve in hand.

Mike:  You are right on the money.  My vin is 2571369 and must be one of the ones where BMW used up its old stock of heater cores and heater valves.  I'm surprised that that little hose has held up for 42 years but its insides looked like it would give up the ghost fairly soon.

Regards, Maurice.

And just to make things a lot worse, it was pretty common to retro the late (big(18mm)) valve onto the early

(12mm)  heater core- and there is no stock 'adaptor' hose that does that for you.

Additionally, if you put a late head into an early car (or vice- versa) then you likewise

end up with a size mismatch.

It's just one of those things you get to sort out....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And just to make things a lot worse, it was pretty common to retro the late (big(18mm)) valve onto the early

(12mm)  heater core- and there is no stock 'adaptor' hose that does that for you.

Additionally, if you put a late head into an early car (or vice- versa) then you likewise

end up with a size mismatch.

It's just one of those things you get to sort out....

t

What Toby says.

ABB5AC03-7C92-4E56-A385-20F7A163CA2D_zps

169FB697-8BD4-4670-8D0A-DF0502717216_zps

476E8C66-3FBB-454B-90E6-2BFD0200EDC9_zps

Early heater core

IMG_8639_zps3a6e18d7.jpg

Later type

11009017.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 3 years later...

I'm going to pick this thread up again. Getting the heater box out of the '71 led to the very short hose between heater and valve being cut (don't ask) . . . This was the hose that is smaller at one end than the other. The 3 or so part numbers I have found do not show a hose like that. But maybe they are stock photos.  Any pointers to the correct (once readily available) hose would be gratefully accepted.  
bob