• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About Red Center Round Tail Lights...

Hey all, I'm selling some red center roundie tail lights and I'm wondering If I have them listed on Ebay for too much $$. They've been on there for 6 days with no bids! I also put them under the market section on here but they just got buried right away under new listings. I think $150 is fair considering that they're in good shape with only minor flaws that I covered thoroughly in the description. I figured they would get a lot more attention than they are getting! If they don't sell on Ebay then I might re-list them on here. Do you think the price is too high? And if anybody is interested, they'll be on for another 4 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-VINTAGE-ROUND-TAIL-LIGHTS-fits-all-1600-and-2002-models-up-to-1973-/121282324018?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3cfd6632&vxp=mtr

post-41166-0-98646200-1393701782_thumb.j

I was in the market for some round lights on ebay (ended up finding a set on here).

People were bidding up the auctions at the last minute, I watched a couple sets with no bids double in price in the last few hours.

Leave it up there, someone may match your $150 as the auction ends.

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

Just my opinion:  I prefer amber centers, plastic is faded from sun, hard to tell actual condition of chrome.  Excellent chrome surrounds alone would bring high dollar, and nonfaded lenses with amber centers more.  Innards are more readily available.  Just looking at the pictures I would rate them a 4 of 10 to be used as backup spares.  If they were 6 to 8 then $150 would be a good starting point.  I think starting at $100 may bring more bids. 

71 2002

06 330i

Part of the problem in selling your lenses is a limited market.  Red center lenses were used on US spec cars only from the 1600's introduction in 1967 until sometime in late 1969 or early 1970 production...and Hoffman only sold a few thousand 1600s and 2002s (less than 5k) during that time period.  Like anything else on e-bay, they're worth what someone is willing to pay.  But I think you're a little high...if they were complete assemblies (chrome rim and bulb holders) in good used shape, you'd be closer to the asking price.

My Feb 69 production 2002 had red center lenses--unfortunately the car was delivered with a misadjusted brake light switch, that caused the brake lights to be on for several hours before I discovered the problem.  In September I discovered the inner reflecting lenses were melted, so took the car to the dealer to have 'em replaced under warranty.  They were replaced with amber center lenses because according to the dealer the red center lenses were NLA.  When I redid the car in 2000 I managed to find a pair of red center lenses (thanks, Carl Nelson!) to put the car back to original.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 10 months later...

Part of the problem in selling your lenses is a limited market. Red center lenses were used on US spec cars only from the 1600's introduction in 1967 until sometime in late 1969 or early 1970 production...and Hoffman only sold a few thousand 1600s and 2002s (less than 5k) during that time period. Like anything else on e-bay, they're worth what someone is willing to pay. But I think you're a little high...if they were complete assemblies (chrome rim and bulb holders) in good used shape, you'd be closer to the asking price.

My Feb 69 production 2002 had red center lenses--unfortunately the car was delivered with a misadjusted brake light switch, that caused the brake lights to be on for several hours before I discovered the problem. In September I discovered the inner reflecting lenses were melted, so took the car to the dealer to have 'em replaced under warranty. They were replaced with amber center lenses because according to the dealer the red center lenses were NLA. When I redid the car in 2000 I managed to find a pair of red center lenses (thanks, Carl Nelson!) to put the car back to original.

cheers

mike

Solely as a data point, my very, very early '70 U.S. model (1668093, manufactured September 8, 1969) came with red-center taillights. In late '74, I swapped them for amber-center taillights from a totaled '72 tii (2762204) I was parting out. I wanted to "modernize" my '70!

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)