• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Rebuild

gfairchild

Hello, I am new to the Board as well as to 2002's.   My son and I are restoring a 73 2002 and would like recommendations for getting the engine rebuilt.  I spoke to a well known builder about their stage 2 rebuild but was shocked at the amount that was quoted ($11k).  Then I read some mixed reviews about the shop in question.  Does anyone know of a top-notch builder of M10 engines?  

Welcome. Where are you located, what are your performance needs/expectations, and are you willing/able to do some of the work yourself? Plenty of info here, through member responses and search. For a price point, I built a full race engine myself for just over $5K, not including the carbs. As I recall, a stock rebuilt M10 engine from BMW used to cost about the same, but that was some time ago.

Here's a couple posts to get you started:

Engine Rebuild Recommendations
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/140646-engine-rebuild-recommendations/

M10 Engine Rebuild
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125686-m10-engine-rebuild/

--Fred

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

How much does a non race stock engine cost to rebuild ? I have a engine thats tired, nothing is wrong as far as warped heads, or anything.

sorry to thread jack.

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

Thanks for the quick response.  I am located in Houston.  I am looking for a high performance (yet still drivable) engine.  Originally I was planning on doing all of the work except the machining.  I have since decided to let a professional build the engine.  Any thoughts on Metric Mechanic motors?

Thanks for the quick response.  I am located in Houston.  I am looking for a high performance (yet still drivable) engine.  Originally I was planning on doing all of the work except the machining.  I have since decided to let a professional build the engine.  Any thoughts on Metric Mechanic motors?

How much does a non race stock engine cost to rebuild ? I have a engine thats tired, nothing is wrong as far as warped heads, or anything.

It all comes down to parts, labor and how tired the engine is. That plus the performance level--stock, upgrade, mild race, full race. You can price all the parts yourself, then decide what you really need and what you can reuse when you take the engine apart and inspect everything. It could be just new bearings, re-ring and a valve job with guides and seals, or it could end up being that plus new pistons, new valves, new cam/rockers/valve springs, new oil pump, new timing gear and chain and so on.

A long way of saying there is no one answer. You can either do all the research and build it yourself except for machine work and perhaps some assembly, or you can pay someone for a turn-key engine. And then there is the installation cost if you are not doing it yourself. Labor rates vary--what is important is that you get good info, quality parts, and someone who knows what they are doing.

While RealOEM shows these NLA, here is the current listing from Husker BMW, the place I buy all my dealer-only BMW parts.

BMW re-manufactured short engine

01/1966    to 08/1973    11001261406    

04/1971    to 12/1975    11001261408

Only the 11001261408 is listed as available from this source (but it may be NLA, so give them a call)

$3,824.98 @ www.bmwmercedesparts.com

(Core charge of $1,000)

--Fred

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

If you are having someone else do the rebuild, you might check with Top End Performance (http://www.racetep.com/bmwngin.html).  While I haven't driven the car yet, I found Steve to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Here is a link to images of the rebuild of my tii motor:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tep_icp/sets/72157634053646253/

If you are going to do most of it yourself, feel free to ping me offline if you need an extra set of hands.  I am in Houston as well.

Last, we have started a FB group of Houston 2002 owners (dully named "Houston BMW 2002 Owners").  Feel free to join the group and get to know a few other folks local to you that can lend a hand or a brain.

Best of luck,

John "kaptanoglu" Jones

Edited by kaptanoglu

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

I bet there are local shops you could trust in that area....but, if not:

(what do u mean by stg 2?....I always thought that a Korman term.....)

MM overall has a great rep..nice folks......alot of m10 experience. Jim Rowe, the owner, loves these cars...and can talk...alot....heck I know some1 that slept in his home and helped on the build. Good folks.

Terry Tinney in Ca knows alot about these engines in hi po form. He built a very powerful/strong track motor for a fella here on the faq...

Paul Burke is known to get crazy power out of  these....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/133419-02-vintage-race-car-project-heidegger-replica/

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/136450-vac-motorsports-m5-heads-valves-etc-3.html

Edited by jrkoupe

jrkoupe - Korman was the company I spoke with.  The price scared me a bit so I called Metric Mechanic.  MM's pricing was a little more reasonable but I am reading mixed reviews about both Companies.  Thanks for the info on MM.  Jim did seem like a nice guy.

John - thanks for the recomendation and invitation to join the facebook group.  As I get into this more I just might have to ping you.  Thanks for the offer.

JR--thanks for posting the link to the Heidegger replica and Paul Burke's work. I have always thought of doing an M10 with a motor plate, but had never seen one until today. I'll have to save up and give him a call sometime!  --Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Fred,

Many thanks for your input.

I knew there was no $1500.00 or $2500 answer. I've never rebuilt a full on motor myself. Seems too far fetched in my mind because of the lack of 2002 knowledge. This board is a huge help and has been, but I feel like the torque specs, tolerances etc would prove to be too much and I'd f%$@k up a newly rebuilt motor.

1968 BMW 1600 Chmnx White

1976 2002 Parts car

2003 f150

60% of the time, it works every time!

To be fair to Korman and MM, no matter the business you’ll always find someone who ends up unhappy if you look hard enough.  I could tell you bad stories or great stories about either one, but the fact is they’ve both been around for decades.  Just be clear as to your responsibility regarding the engine (break in, maintenance, etc.). 

Just understand that a fair amount of us on here prefer to take a more hands-on approach to piecing together a hotrod engine and that comes with a slightly different perspective.