• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Hellblau 2002Ti Race Car Build

I just went through your shopping list again, and I am once again stumped. Those parts are worth killing for...

Do you have pictures of that Quaife diff? I have never seen one in a 2002 case. Have you tracked the car with the diff, if so, how does it hold up and respond versus a plate style diff?

Also, did you mold the flares off another car of did you create it yourself? They look nothing short of amazing.

I am truly jealous of your build!

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

now that is one remarkable correct flared pig..just beaUTIFUL.....great color combo.

cAN I ASK WHAT FRONT FLARES YOU ARE USING?...they are a bit different in that the wheel opening appears to show less of a gap above the tire. I prefer it.

WONDERING WHY YOU DID NOT JUST GO W/ A SIMPLE SINGLE borla or magnaflow, et al... turbo style muffler?...

oh!..wanted to ask what treaded tires is the car sitting on in the pic in the yard?

Edited by jrkoupe

Hi Jacques,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like my interpretation of a 2002!

I can take picture of the Quaife diff next time I change the gearing. It works really well on track, coming out of the turns I sense serious traction! Perhaps I can find a short clip.. In my other 2002 I have the factory 40% diff, but I prefer the quaife unit.

I made the flares myself, to fit my wheels and ride height. Before I start racing it, I will make a mold for them so they are easy to duplicate.

The car was actually born Colorado, but I went with a colour that could be my own instead. Original BMW Hellblau and Anthracite.

I just went through your shopping list again, and I am once again stumped. Those parts are worth killing for...

Do you have pictures of that Quaife diff? I have never seen one in a 2002 case. Have you tracked the car with the diff, if so, how does it hold up and respond versus a plate style diff?

Also, did you mold the flares off another car of did you create it yourself? They look nothing short of amazing.

I am truly jealous of your build!

Regards

Jacques

1962 BMW 3200CS resto project

1971 BMW 2002ti M2 race car

1974 BMW 2002tii ALPINA race car

1973 BMW 3.0 CSI resto project..

Hi,

I have tried at least 5 times to get the exhaust right for the engine to flow correctly, the header is custom made 50/50 for the 02, and started with dual 2" and x-over into 2,5" just before the rear axle. No matter where the X was placed, it lost power above 7000rpm. Finally I got it right with Y-collector into 3", and then I had trouble with noise. The cams are 316/308 and rev limit is set at 8500rpm for durability. At these rpm it makes some "noise" that is not easy to dampen without messing with the flow, and therefore I went with the M5 V10 exhaust, which flows extremely well and dampens at the same time. The car weights 891kg wet with the new exhaust. Tires are Kumho V70 235/45-13", and the Michelins 22/54-13".

Regards

Michael

now that is one remarkable correct flared pig..just beaUTIFUL.....great color combo.cAN I ASK WHAT FRONT FLARES YOU ARE USING?...they are a bit different in that the wheel opening appears to show less of a gap above the tire. I prefer it.WONDERING WHY YOU DID NOT JUST GO W/ A SIMPLE SINGLE borla or magnaflow, et al... turbo style muffler?...oh!..wanted to ask what treaded tires is the car sitting on in the pic in the yard?

Found a small clip from the track last year. I had been threatened with black flag due to noise, so went veery carefully until late that day... I have also put insulation around the induction and inside the hood now.. My friends are laughing at the frustrated guy in the GT3:-) turn up your volume

th_BMW2002ti_1RUN-1.jpg

Btw, I changed the windows, they were too dark for my taste, from plastics4performance in UK. The ones that are in now are clear and hard coated 5mm.

Edited by Micker747

Found a small clip from the track last year. I had been threatened with black flag due to noise, so went veery carefully until late that day... I have also put insulation around the induction and inside the hood now.. My friends are laughing at the frustrated guy in the GT3:-) turn up your volume

th_BMW2002ti_1RUN-1.jpg

Btw, I changed the windows, they were too dark for my taste, from plastics4performance in UK. The ones that are in now are clear and hard coated 5mm.

I have to say, to be able to keep a 996 GT3 behind you is no mean feat! Your car must be set up very well, and I guess the S14 doesn't hamper it. :)

One of the nicest race 2002s I have ever seen, congrats!

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I'm racing in Youngtimer class1, cars min 15 years old and divided in HP/kg classes. I'm up against some tough guys in M3s, Porsche 968 compressor, 996 3.6 etc...all fully built race cars. I just started at the final race last year, finished 4th of 28 cars. Hopefully I will be on the podium this year.

For the rest of the time I use it to go to the bakery and track days:-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...