• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have an original Window Sticker to share? Here's my '72 Baikal tii

COOP

I thought it would be a cool thread if those who have one could share their original window sticker...And yes, I'm admittedly gloating a little because mine was in the glove box of the 72 Tii when I found the car in an NYC Parking garage back in '98.

COOP

post-46406-0-44649700-1423196061_thumb.j

Edited by COOP

Hey, COOP,

There are a few earlier threads on this, e.g.:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125223-original-window-sticker/?hl=%2Bwindow+%2Bsticker#entry978762

And there's one earlier thread -- I suppose, before we got "photo happy" -- where approximately a dozen members detail the contents of their window stickers without attaching photos!

Some dedicated forum member could go through all the window stickers shown on this forum, and query members who have stickers but have not posted them, and assemble a fabulous compendium of prices and options over time, along with colors and ports of entry. Sounds great! Are you volunteering?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hey, COOP,

There are a few earlier threads on this, e.g.:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/125223-original-window-sticker/?hl=%2Bwindow+%2Bsticker#entry978762

And there's one earlier thread -- I suppose, before we got "photo happy" -- where approximately a dozen members detail the contents of their window stickers without attaching photos!

Some dedicated forum member could go through all the window stickers shown on this forum, and query members who have stickers but have not posted them, and assemble a fabulous compendium of prices and options over time, along with colors and ports of entry. Sounds great! Are you volunteering?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve...Yes, I did a search for similar threads before posting and saw the ones that you mentioned.  However, I was going for more of a direct "Post your window sticker" thread with the hope that it would actually gain traction instead of digressing into a discussion about clutch slave cylinders or Italian bi-color flat turn signals as often happens here, lol.  Kinda similar in spirit to a "post pix of your car" or "show us your wheels" type of idea.  Anyways, doesn't look like a lot of takers so far but hopefully some of my fellow FAQers will join the party!

COOP

Hi Steve...Yes, I did a search for similar threads before posting and saw the ones that you mentioned. However, I was going for more of a direct "Post your window sticker" thread with the hope that it would actually gain traction instead of digressing into a discussion about clutch slave cylinders or Italian bi-color flat turn signals as often happens here, lol. Kinda similar in spirit to a "post pix of your car" or "show us your wheels" type of idea. Anyways, doesn't look like a lot of takers so far but hopefully some of my fellow FAQers will join the party!

COOP

LOL. Only because what you say is true! We -- and I include myself in that "we" -- are so easily distracted. I've posted my car's window sticker at least 4 times previously, but here it comes again!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-93664700-1423247839_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

LOL. Only because what you say is true! We -- and I include myself in that "we" -- are so easily distracted. I've posted my car's window sticker at least 4 times previously, but here it comes again!

Regards,

Steve

Beautiful!  We're cooking now here!  Thank you for sharing...Interesting, it's quite a significant price increase from 1973 to '76, I had no idea.  Looks like your car stickered for over $2,500 more than mine...

Come on you other "sticker endowed" ladies & gents!  Show us what you got!!!

COOP

Here it the window sticker from our 1976 2002:

2a142eb1b4b753ca9fe2be24cb9ed039_zps5c56

Dollar weakened against the D-Mark that year. $7,361.75 was a lot of dinero back then.

Keep your revs up,

Tom

1976 BMW 2002

1971 BMW 2800

1969 BMW 1600 (the one that got this madness started for me ...)

Boy, did they charge allot for metallic paint in 1976 $244.  Adjusted for inflation that's $1000 in today's money.  BMW is only charging $550 for metallic paint for a new 3er - But I'm sure they are making it up someplace else.

My car seemed like a bargain at only $3057 - The original owners kept every single bit of documentation since purchased.  They let me buy it last year after many years of eying it.

post-47141-0-04224000-1423284443_thumb.j

Boy, did they charge allot for metallic paint in 1976 $244. Adjusted for inflation that's $1000 in today's money...

Warning: long thread divergence follows (sorry, always happens, COOP!). Read at your own risk.

And it's much worse than simply the $244 additional charge: the $244 metallic paint brought on a 30-year feud between BMW and me. (I wrote them a few nasty letters but I'm certain they didn't notice we were feuding!)

BMW metallic paints of the '60s and '70s were an un-mitigated disaster. They could not hold up. They kept changing the formulations to solve the problem. The original Polaris was replaced with Neu Polaris, which later became just-plain Polaris, which was replaced with PVC-frei Polaris. I'm not certain about the Polaris paint prior to PVC-frei Polaris, but PVC-frei Polaris was a two-stage paint at a time when most U.S. body shops had not yet seen two-stage paints.

I, stupidly, foolishly, thought that PVC-frei Polaris was the last word in Polaris. I bought the Polaris 2762541 in July '76. But in late '76/early '77 BMW announced they were having problems with all their PVC-frei metallic paints. The clear coat would start crazing and eventually fall off, followed by the color coat crazing and eventually falling off. The photo below shows 2742541's original roof paint today, but it pretty much looked like this by 1983, despite the tremendous care the car received from day one. And BMW instituted a policy in response to the paint failure: BMW would underwrite all or a portion of metallic paint re-paints, provided that the paint failed within 36 months of delivery. A friend's father bought an Anthrazitgrau '76 around May '76. The car was never garaged, the paint began to fail within 24 months, and the car was re-painted at BMW's expense.

My car, on the other hand, was always garaged. Its paint began to fail around 48 months after I purchased it. BMW said "tough noogies! So I was punished for taking care of my car. I paid $244 extra for paint that failed after 4 years. Can you imagine having the paint on a Toyota completely fail after 4 years and have Toyota say, "tough noogies"? I can't. It was 2010 when I bought my next BMW. Take THAT, BMW! Well...I suppose I lost the war!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-07357000-1423287081_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

C'MON GUYS & GALS!! That's 4 Window Stickers so far...I have GOTTA believe we can do better than that!  These documents represent a fascinating piece of nostalgia and it gives me chills to see them! 

COOP

Sorry, I had to do some digging for it.  Extra bonus - found a CTC note included with a parts order that was obviously placed in the trusting, good 'ol days... TR

post-43366-0-21060100-1423413954_thumb.j

post-43366-0-79615300-1423413999_thumb.j

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

That's fantastic TR! Thank you for taking the time to dig it up, and thanks to the others who have shared...and may share. It really does produce shivers down my spine to read through these time-faded pages, because it brings our little cars back to life within the historical and cultural context of their era. I can just close my eyes and imagine them gleaming and new, being delivered in diverse cities and towns all around the country to their excitedly beaming new owners. I actually checked out the Google Street Level View for the address of my '72 tii's original dealer and navigated as a pedestrian along the block where it once stood, imagining what it may have looked like and who may have worked there...it produced a strange combination of emotions for me, ranging from sadness that the dealer is (obviously) not there anymore to a helpless longing to return to the time and place. It all felt a bit ghostly in its misty unattainability but then alternated back in and out of clearer focus when I went back to the window sticker...you should try this exercise, it's a trip!

One observation made in comparing your tii window sticker with mine is that neither one shows either the model year or the color of the car (unless I'm being dumb and missing it). I'm assuming that your car is a '73 model as it was around $1,100 more expensive.

COOP

Edited by COOP

One observation made in comparing your tii window sticker with mine is that neither one shows either the model year or the color of the car (unless I'm being dumb and missing it). I'm assuming that your car is a '73 model as it was around $1,100 more expensive.

COOP

Yes, I'm trying to match the year to the sticker. I would like to see what my 74 automatic with sunroof sold for new.