• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conserv

I was particularly struck by the description to the following eBay listing for a round taillight nose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361469666170?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is currently being offered for sale by a long-time and respected member of the '02 community, in Southern California.

I'm publishing it here both because a.) I was struck by the amount of experience this person has with '02 noses; and b.) it supports, I believe -- at least in some vague fashion -- my contention that an enormous percentage of '02 noses have been replaced over the last 50 years.

I'll just point to two particular quotes that caught my attention, as they will eventually disappear with the listing.

"I have had the opportunity to cut and save well over 1,000 2002 noses over the last 25 years, and I have saved less than 20 because most are simply not worth keeping (I have 3 remaining), even here in California."

More than 1,000 is a LOT of noses! By "saved less than 20", I gather he means "retained, long term, for my inventory" and that some of those 1,000 noses found their way -- presumably with repairs -- onto other '02s. I don't believe he removed them for sport -- else, he would not have said "cut and save well over 1,000 2002 noses -- but, rather, because there was a market for used noses and many (most?) were, in fact, salvageable, even if not beautiful.

But in cutting off more than a 1,000 noses, he's developed considerable expertise.

"This nose looks to be a replacement nose, which explains why it has no rust, a rarity for a 45-50 year old nose panel. Welds at the fenders and some body sealant on top of the paint suggest this was installed more recently than the original assembly." (By "welds at the fenders", I gather he's distinguishing the welds from factory brazing at the upper fender-nose joints.)

I'm accustomed to eBay ads for '02 noses saying something like, "fits all '67 through '76 2002's", which, although "sort-of correct", misses the difference between round and square taillight noses. This ad simply struck me as the testimony of a person with tremendous '02 experience!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This ad simply struck me as the testimony of a person with tremendous '02 experience!

And Dave's an experienced seller, knowing that sticking "tii" in the title will bring more potential buyers (even though the snorkel nose offered is probably-not-likely from an original Tii...).

And Dave's an experienced seller, knowing that sticking "tii" in the title will bring more potential buyers (even though the snorkel nose offered is probably-not-likely from an original Tii...).

It beats putting 'turbo' in the title to charge a higher price.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

On January 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM, esty said:

save the web page as a pdf file then attach it the same as a picture....what browser do you use

Safari, and I'm lost in the jungle most of the time!

I'll poke around!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 7 months later...

Hi 

thanks for the notes. I'm looking for an early nose for my '71. I've been told that the outer grills are the same for both early and later '02s, and mainly I need to change the piece for the center grill (cutting out and welding the earlier middle piece of the nose.  Any assistance or feedback is appreciated. 

39 minutes ago, mbausa2001 said:

Hi 

thanks for the notes. I'm looking for an early nose for my '71. I've been told that the outer grills are the same for both early and later '02s, and mainly I need to change the piece for the center grill (cutting out and welding the earlier middle piece of the nose.  Any assistance or feedback is appreciated. 

early and late grills are not the same...not interchangeable 67-73 all fit 67-73 cars 74-76 all fit 74-76 cars

an early chrome grill will not fit a 74-76 nose without serious modification

I've been told that the outer grills are the same for both early and later '02s

You've been so lied to...

I have used a late nose and converted it to early grilles.  The center section welds in OK, , but then you get to try to put fasteners in to hold in

the side grilles.  Mine was on a race car on a tight time schedule, so I used a drill and tie wraps, but the OE way of retaining

the grills is very different early to late- you'll end up fabricating mounts that fit behind the mounting points for your chosen grille.

And it's a pain in the butt.  And it would be an even bigger pain in the butt to try to make it look stock, if that mattered.

btdt.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

TobyB- I do appreciate the feedback. Replacing the whole nose with an earlier nose is also a pain and I wanted to believe a short cut might work.  And, getting a used rusty earlier nose costs about $900.  What's confusing is that the nose on my car looks original but the grills are for 74 and on.........

p.s. I've checked the vin# 2572561 which confirms year 71.  

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

You've been so lied to...

I have used a late nose and converted it to early grilles.  The center section welds in OK, , but then you get to try to put fasteners in to hold in

the side grilles.  Mine was on a race car on a tight time schedule, so I used a drill and tie wraps, but the OE way of retaining

the grills is very different early to late- you'll end up fabricating mounts that fit behind the mounting points for your chosen grille.

And it's a pain in the butt.  And it would be an even bigger pain in the butt to try to make it look stock, if that mattered.

btdt.

t

+1 on this, i fitted a 74 snorkel nose to my early 73 tii, what a prick of a job, had to unstitch a few welds to get the panels to line up! started modifying the center to fit the early grill, then worked out the inside of the side grills dont fit (as your picture showed). i'm about to cut out my old center and stitch it into my new nose, looks like im going to need a lot of time and patience to get this looking right and as toby mentioned, make it look as close to stock as possible.

good luck with your nose, i'll have mine done in the next 2 weeks as im booked for paint..... i can post up some pick if that helps you in anyway?

20160112_152323.jpg

20160112_152343.jpg

20160112_152405.jpg

20160115_113028.jpg

73' 2002tii roundie cr 5spd 2751420