• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any tips on install. of rubber grommet that surrounds ...

schwarz75

Isopropyl alcohol works as a good lube for installing rubber seals. Evaporates fast and leaves (nearly) no residue.

And the cleark at the locla pharmacy won't be giving you a funny look as he would for buying the other type of lube.

People used to use dish soap for installing those foam grips on bicycle handle bars. Worked good until you got them wet.

"Nothing but foam all over"

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

sized for the much smaller 72 and earlier brackets. I had the same problem with my '73, and tried both ways--put the grommet on the bracket and try to insert, then install the grommet and try to force the bracket thru. I think I finally succeeded with the latter method, using some silicone grease to help things along.

Still a bitchy job, and IIRC I ended up haking a very sharp razor blade and carefully trimming the hole in the grommet that accepts the bracket so it would slide in a little easier and not pull the grommet loose while doing so.

Have fun

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Replaced mine last Spring.

I removed the bumper assembly from the bodyand disassembled it. It's a good time to clean up under there anyway. Replace the bolts if you like, otherwise clean up the threads so they will come apart next time without a "heat wrench." Antiseize is your friend.

:)

The brackets on a '73 are "sided," so mark them accordingly. It will save you some time.

For the grommets, you can use silicone, vaseline or general purpose grease (my choice) on the opening. Push the rubber grommet through the front panel using a wooden stick. (Don't use a screwdriver, metal scratches paint. I used a round, wooden paint brush handle.)

Important: Test fit the bracket to be sure you have the grommet rightside up. The bracket should push through easily and line up with the slot in in the grommet.

Reassemble everything "fingertight," including the bumper ends where they attach to the fenders. Take the car outside and look to see if the bumper is level, then tighten things up slowly - all the while making certain the bumper is level.

Final step: Crack open a beer, and admire your work.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com