• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So guess what I found the other day behind my fender?-pics

mtriple

Well, I found this while I was doing my blinker writeup the other day. I will let the pics tell the story!

CIMG3672.jpg

CIMG3673.jpg

CIMG3674.jpg

CIMG3675.jpg

CIMG3677.jpg

CIMG3678.jpg

CIMG3679.jpg

CIMG3681.jpg

CIMG3683.jpg

CIMG3686.jpg

CIMG3687.jpg

That thing have been hiding in a nook for many many years! I can tell because of the amount of debris I cleaned up inside!

Now everyone go stick your hands in that spot and see what you can find!

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

HA! Mine didn't have a folding key but I had the same exact magnetic key box under the rear lip/valance of my car. It had a set of keys with the dealer tags, etc still on them. I guess it was a pretty popular thing to do back in 74. Wish I had a folding key tho... That's pretty cool. Only folding keys I've ever seen are the ones for the Bimmers....

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Guest Anonymous

Your pics were so blurry that I thought it was weed in the hide a key for the first few pics

'69--never used 'em 'cause I figured the plastic heads would break off. Back then '02s came with two folding keys and a plain steel key with what looks like a gun blueing finish--also with a BMW roundel. They were on a simple key ring with a carboard BMW tag that has the car's VIN--written by hand--on the tag (yeah, I have that too!).

I've always used brass keys 'cause they don't wear the brass lock tumblers/pins as fast as steel keys do.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Bendy keys may have come with BMW motorcycles. but they also came with BMW 1600's and 2002's up through the the mid-1970 changeover.

I have had bendy keys with both a 69 car and my 70 2002.

I love 'em, but also, am not inclined to use them in case they would

break.

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

Yup it sure works indeed. I will not use them and they will stay in my drawer!

My car is an 11/69 production so they might have came with the car according to what I am reading!

If I can find my darn trunk key! I know there is a trick to pull the lock out, read the code and have a company make it and ship it. They only issue is I am trying to remove my lock cylinder and I do not know how!

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

one and I purchased the last 5 plastic backs and inserts known to exist (the plastic is actually a two piece item) from Schimmer Tuning way back in 2001.

Quite rare, absolutely pure unobtanium. I haven't had the courage to even cut the blanks and use them.

Good find!!!

Cheers!

John N

removing the trunk lock is simple -

unscrew the barrel nut on the inside of the lock -

very long threads.....

and order the CORRECT BMW key blank once you see the key

code letter on the lock - available like new from any dealer - with the "BMW" on the head. about $8 clams each.

31-4222574.JPG

11-9263173.JPG

order 02 blanks from any dealer

10-2959477.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"